1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller Bass Electronics help needed!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Toolshmoe, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Toolshmoe

Toolshmoe

Apr 11, 2009
    I recently acquired a Marcus Miller Jazz bass from a band that could pay their studio time!
    Anyways, I currently own two Geddy Lee jazz basses that I play live and a 1972 Jazz bass (non reissue) for studio work!
    I am a huge fan of the smooth sound of those three basses!
    I have purchased the US vintage Jazz bass pickups that are in the Geddy Lee signature model!
    So let me get to the point, I am not a fan of active electronics AT ALL! As a producer I always make people use one of the MANY jazz basses I have and they are all passive! I have read on this site that people have made the MM sig model a passive bass. How is this done? I would still like to be able to have at least a VVT set up in the knobs. I am very good with a sauder gun I am just not sure of how to wiring should be done.
    Please let me know ASAP I have no sessions til thursday so I have the time to get the job done and maybe try it out for the next bass session I have!
    Thanks so much!

2. Toolshmoe

Toolshmoe

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks for the hlep!
    Any recommendations for VOL/VOL/TONE/TONE? I don't want any of the knobs to go to waste! Also I am change the switch for active/passive to an blue led light. Any comapnies out there that make that small of a light?
    Just using this bass as my project.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Don't try and make Marcus do that! ;)

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    call me captain obvious, but you can just flick the little mini-toggle to make the marcus passive.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yeah, I thought the same thing too. Rather than try and make every bass sound the same, I'd keep it true to the original intention, or maybe replace the stock preamp with something better.

I'd hate to have all my basses sound exactly the same. What works in one recording might not work in another.

I have actives, passives, set necks, bolt ones, etc. Different style strings on many of them too. :D