Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greasemonkey, Jul 26, 2000.

1. greasemonkey

greasemonkey

Jul 26, 2000
    what do you guys think of the marcus miller fender? i went to the bass place the other day, and fell in love with it, i've got maybe 2 more weeks until i can have the money to buy it, and i just wanted to hear some feedback on it

2. I picked up a Fender Marcus Miller bass. It was very heavy. The preamp seemed noisy. IMHO, it is a very good bass with good bang for the buck.

Marcus' bass is modeled after his '70s jazz which was hot-rodded by Roger Sadowsky. I have played a Sadowsky jazz bass back to back with the Fender Marcus Miller. To my ears it was a no-brainer. Later that week I gave a deposit to Sadowsky to build me a 4 string jazz bass.

3. greasemonkey

greasemonkey

Jul 26, 2000
    thanks, but would this be worth the money for beng my second bass, and upgrading from a squire? i've been playing for about a year now and feel it's time to get a better bass

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just as background on where I'm coming from,I played a hot-rodded (Bartolini pick ups and preamp) Jazz for over ten years. I now play $4,000 MTD 5 string and a used $2,000 Lakland Deluxe 5 string.

I recently played two different Fender Marcus Miller (hereafter MM) basses. I actually got to jam a whole afternoon on one of them. I think that they are great and worth the money. I love their tone. They get pretty close to the tone of the Sadowsky preamp mounted in the real MM bass. They were selling for $769 at Musician's Friend. just my 2 cents. If you can get one for less than $800, go for it. FYI, I heard that they were made in Japan, but they may move production to Mexico; this would result in slightly inferior quality relative to the Japan models. try to get one that was made in Japan.

willbass44 likes this.
  5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by greasemonkey:
    i went to the bass place the other day, and fell in love with it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there's your answer. Upgrading from a Squier? Yes, you'll love this bass. Excellent choice. Enjoy.

-GM

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by greasemonkey:
    thanks, but would this be worth the money for beng my second bass, and upgrading from a squire? i've been playing for about a year now and feel it's time to get a better bass<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tough question without knowing the price and condition [​IMG] I've seen several in the $500-$600 price range used here on the East Coast. Have you checked out the American Jazz Deluxes?

7. greasemonkey

greasemonkey

Jul 26, 2000
    it's going to be brand new

8. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimS:
    I picked up a Fender Marcus Miller bass. It was very heavy. The preamp seemed noisy. IMHO, it is a very good bass with good bang for the buck.

Marcus' bass is modeled after his '70s jazz which was hot-rodded by Roger Sadowsky. I have played a Sadowsky jazz bass back to back with the Fender Marcus Miller. To my ears it was a no-brainer. Later that week I gave a deposit to Sadowsky to build me a 4 string jazz bass.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with JimS:as I have posted here many times,I have a Sadowsky Standard 4 strings.......it's a bomb!!!!!
    I have tryed the MM Fender a couple of times:nice bass for that price,but please,the Sadowsky(as the price says)is just another world....
    For those who want the MM sound:
    1)or you buy a Sadowsky Standard
    2)or you find a '70's Jazz and take it to Roger
    (I suppose that the second option would be even more expensive....)

9. the mack

the mack

Mar 20, 2000
    what about buying the mm bass and then swap ot the pre-amp for the sadowsky pre-amp ?

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    it's going to be brand new<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    And the price is?.... [​IMG] Never mind. (it makes it much easier to give an opinion on whether something is worth something if you tell us what it will cost [​IMG])

Anyway... for a second bass, that you really like, it's fine. Don't pay retail for it. I know people posting here really like their Sadowskys but that has nothing to do with your question, right? [​IMG] Suggesting you buy one and modify it is a mystery to me, you already like the bass.

Does it sound like a new Sadowsky?... nope. Does a new Sadowsky sound like it?... no. Does a new Sadowsky sound like Marcus' bass?... no. So [​IMG]

You like it, so if the price is right and you can afford it, go for it.

11. greasemonkey

greasemonkey

Jul 26, 2000
    just to let you guys know, i bought it

12. the mack

the mack

Mar 20, 2000
    GREAT...i started to get one last month but came across a mij 75 re-issue jazz for a good price so i got that instead.

13. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    ... what happens if you remove the big pickguard? Is there any ugly big routing, like the MIM Jazz one?

14. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    You can get a U-retro upgrade for that bass and is much better than the standard preamp in the bass.

[​IMG]

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Yeah, I did know it, but I wanted to know if the body of the bass is "solid" or it's badly routed under the pickguard...

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The routing is very well done (oversized, actually) and should easily accomodate the U-Retro.

17. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    well, I wanted to know if the pickguard can be removed without seeing a bad routing... I don't like pickguards.

18. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    what company makes the u retro? does it come with the u-retro preamp or whatever? that looks pretty shweet.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    For the record Marcus has a Stars Guitar preamp in his Jazz not a Sadowsky preamp.the misinformation comes from Marcus having Sadowsky early in his career do repairs and some modifications for him.at the time Sadowsky didn't even have his own basses or for that matter his own preamps.

20. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA