marcus miller bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Oct 2, 2005.

1. I brought the Marcus Miller to the Jam last night along with my Aerodyne. Last week my MM was giving me problems but with the help of TB, I was able to make some fine ajustments to the pups and the sound was pretty terrific.
    I did a comparison of the two basses and I must say I like the precision pick up sound better. It just has so much more bottom punch. It was a blues jam.
    The MM was way more comfy though and to tell the truth I think I may want to find a nice heavy ash natural finish P bass in the future and unload the two I've got.
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Aren't you running flats on your P-bass, and rounds on your MM? Maybe it's just the "flats" sound you are digging, and not necessarily the P tone. You could check out a set of Flats on your Marcus Miller, and see how that pans out. Flats on a jazz is a pretty sweet tone, IMO.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It seems like you were in a setting that's more conducive to P playing, though. Different tools for different jobs and all that. Did you roll off the bridge pickup a bit, or were your knobs dimed? I've found on my MM that rolling off one pickup or the other just a tad makes a big difference in tone but also volume.

Or, you could just get a P pickup installed in your MM and have a sweet P/J setup. :)
  4. Two different instruments for a very distinct environment.
  5. I thought of that but I then thought that It would look messed up. But that is what I want. This bass is comfortable and I hate to give up that part of it but the tone just isn't for me.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000

Reggie Hamilton bass? Three band eq, nice bridge, Hipshot detuner, P/J setup... If that had been out when I purchased my MM, I might have ended up with that instead. Pretty affordable, too.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a Precision guy as well, and I'll tell you I feel so much more complete having my Marcus Miller in the stable as well. A nice, chunky, overweight Precision bass has tone and playability that CAN'T be beaten though. :)