1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

marcus miller bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Oct 2, 2005.

1. I brought the Marcus Miller to the Jam last night along with my Aerodyne. Last week my MM was giving me problems but with the help of TB, I was able to make some fine ajustments to the pups and the sound was pretty terrific.
    I did a comparison of the two basses and I must say I like the precision pick up sound better. It just has so much more bottom punch. It was a blues jam.
    The MM was way more comfy though and to tell the truth I think I may want to find a nice heavy ash natural finish P bass in the future and unload the two I've got.

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Aren't you running flats on your P-bass, and rounds on your MM? Maybe it's just the "flats" sound you are digging, and not necessarily the P tone. You could check out a set of Flats on your Marcus Miller, and see how that pans out. Flats on a jazz is a pretty sweet tone, IMO.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It seems like you were in a setting that's more conducive to P playing, though. Different tools for different jobs and all that. Did you roll off the bridge pickup a bit, or were your knobs dimed? I've found on my MM that rolling off one pickup or the other just a tad makes a big difference in tone but also volume.

Or, you could just get a P pickup installed in your MM and have a sweet P/J setup. :)

4. Two different instruments for a very distinct environment.

5. I thought of that but I then thought that It would look messed up. But that is what I want. This bass is comfortable and I hate to give up that part of it but the tone just isn't for me.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Reggie Hamilton bass? Three band eq, nice bridge, Hipshot detuner, P/J setup... If that had been out when I purchased my MM, I might have ended up with that instead. Pretty affordable, too.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a Precision guy as well, and I'll tell you I feel so much more complete having my Marcus Miller in the stable as well. A nice, chunky, overweight Precision bass has tone and playability that CAN'T be beaten though. :)