Marcus Miller Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Has anybody played one of these and if so how do you feel about them? Come tax time I am going to spoil myself and buy a really nice bass(that will be my 1 yr anniverery of learning bass).The MM bass seems to be an American Fender Standard Jazz bass only in a differant guise.Love the look of them,the natural wood,the black oversized pick guard,pick up cover...If they play like the other Fender Jazz Basses I have messed with they will be nice! has them for like $700something.Would I be better off just getting an American Standard Jazz Bass w/ natural finish or...?Does the p/u cover make it cumbersome to rest the thumb on? Thanks for your input!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is not an American Series, it used to be made in Japan, I don't know if it still is, if it is not the production has been moved to Mexico.

Do a search, there have been 2 or 3 threads on this bass, the general consensus was it's a pretty good bass, although it doens't have the same preamp the Marcus' actual bass does.

3. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

I tried one on a store through an amp like mine (BXR60-piece of crap) but it sounded great, low action was present on this bass and it seemed to be built very good. I played the natural Ash one but there is also a Sunburst version.

you get seperate controls for active and passive modes so you have the traditional sound of the Jazz bass when in passive.
    at the time, I was learning with a guy who had a real 70's american J-bass and I think the one on the store was didn't waeight as much though.

put in mind that the Marcus Miller is built like the '75 reissue which is way better than the Am std.

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    exellant bass. I'd prefer one over those "New American" fenders. Its the only fender I desire other than my P-bass lyte.
  5. I was not impressed with the one I tried. It was ridiculously heavy, possibly one of the heaviest instruments I have ever picked up. The preamp is OK but does not hold a candle to the one in Marcus' basses, the Sadowsky on-board preamp. If other Fender Marcus Miller basses aren't as heavy as the one I tried, then it probably offers decent bang for the buck.