Marcus Miller Fender & Single Coil Hum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I've got this bass, and I really hate the hum. My Alembic doesn't give me this problem. Do I need to shell out $200-$300 bucks for a good shielding job? OR should I dump these Pups for a set of Barts? I gotta be honest though, there is a reason I got this bass. THE SOUND!! and I really don't want to change "the sound" with the Bart concept. :eek:
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As I understand it (and I'm not a tech type), the hum might be due to the fact that the pick ups are the single coil type. When you have both pick ups full on, they act like one humbucker and you have no hum (you know that a humbucking pick up is really two pickups build into one casing). As soon as you back off the volume on one of your pick ups or the other, you lose the humbucking capability. This is inherent with the single coil pick up configuration. Here's the kicker, one of the secrets to getting the Marcus Miller tone is using single coil pick ups. thus, you can't have one (MM tone) with out the other (hum with one pick up on).

If you use any other pick up type you probably won't be able to get the same Marcus Miller tone. I've tried stacked humbucking Jazz bass pick ups, soap bars, etc. It's just not the same.

I usually play my Jazz with both pick ups full on, in order to avoid the problem.

One other thing that I should point out is that shielding will not help the problem mentioned above. It will only help is you're getting hum due to ceiling lights or bad house wiring.

You can tell the difference between the two problems because if it's a shielding problem, your bass will hum/buzz even with both pick ups full on. In that case, better shielding might help.
  3. rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I cant help you with your problem since I'm pretty ignorant on the equipment side as well. I can say that I have that same bass and don't experience any of this humming. If anything I find it's high end is pretty weak. I also have a fretless Cort Curbow which produces a way bigger sound than my Fender Marcus Miller at equal volume settins. I'm kinda curious as to why, perhaps the pickups on the MM Fender arent up to snuff?
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That's seems unusual that you don't get enough highs.

I've played two different MM basses and they both have that signature Marcus tone. They sounded great.

Further more, I didn't need to run the on board treble tone control at more than 50% to 60%. It had good high end. Running the treble tone at 70% to 80% resulted in way too much high end, and the bass sounded too harsh.

Just my thought I'd share my opinions and experience with this bass.
  5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I believe all the single coil pick up will definitely humm. I suggest you get hum cancelling pick up from Sadowsky , you'll solve the problem and you get the MM sound.