Marcus Miller in Concert

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Big Ce, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Playas,

Is there anyone out there to whom has had a chance to see Marcus Miller in concert. I just got word today that MM will be doing 4 shows this weekend in Manhaten. I just wanted to know what should I be on the lookout for. I am really looking forward to seeing this cat in concert. I just know that it is going to be hot! Hope to see ya there!!! :hyper:

If you have seen him let me know what you thought.

Big Ce :bassist:
  2. Where in NYC?

I haven't seen a good show in ages.
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    BB King's Bar and Grill. In Times Square look it up online at (I THINK thats the site)
  4. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I saw him at the Jazz Cafe in London back in July and was totally blown away by the guy. I managed to get centre stage and 4 rows back so I could see everything he was doing. Ive been to many a gig over the years and this rates right up there with one of the best experiences. You will have a great time.. enjoy
  5. I saw him 4 times, Nyon 1999, Montreux 2001, Geneva 2003 and Bonneville 2004!
    Great shows, even if after years hearing him, I start to be a little tired....
  6. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Saw him two times and I feel the same.
    When you've listened a lot of Marcus and saw him several times in live, there is no more surprise. The man is quite faithful to himself but not realy innovative.
    Just my opinion of corse. He's still a great player very talentuous and I like to have just a little bit of his skills !
  7. Ticket prices are far too expensive, so that's a no-go for me.
  8. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    He played the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA this past Sunday. This was my first time seeing him live in concert. My impressions were:
    1. Excellent entertainer and bass player. Plays both fretted and fretless bass guitar as well as other instruments and vocals.
    2. Excellent ensemble including sax and trumpet players, keyboard, drummer, guitarist, bass back-up.

3. Played tunes from Silver Rain, and other CD's, exhibited his virtuoso slap technique. Did a little Teen Town by Jaco, Moon Light Sonata.
    4. Played to a standing ovation and ended concert with each instrument having a duel with his bass including a duel with the backup bassist which was quite entertaining.

If I had one criticism, it would be that the volume was a little high and perhaps that could have been a function of my seating location or the venue . Overall, I thought the concert was was excellent and worth the $50.00 admission.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmmm... Bassists? I dunno... Let's try Misc.

I hope to see Marcus one of these days.
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    me too.

....I think Bassists, but it's all good...

He's going to be here at the Roxy this Friday... Might go, but the tix are pricey.
  11. After the "service" charges they came to around $37. I guess that's not too bad to see one of my heroes considering how much some other acts go for. I'll definitely be at the Roxy on Friday.
  12. I saw him in April . Great concert ! I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow I thought is was more... I guess I'm going.

thanks stretch!
  14. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Saw him Friday at the Roxy in ATL; the show was fantastic. Even took my boys, ages 11 and 14, and they thought it was the best thing they'd ever heard. I guess Marcus is one of the few acts you can still take a kid to see, (we also went to see Victor Wooten together) whether it's because a lot of gigs are in places you can't get a kid into without being 21, or tix are so expensive that you can't afford to take the whole family. We had a great time; my 14 year old now wants to quit piano lessons and borrow my bass! Uh oh, maybe I SHOULD leave them home next time.... ;)
  15. I was at that show too and I was really impressed by how many people brought their kids.
  16. I was at the Roxy Friday night and sat behind JohnL and family. It was a pleasure meeting you JohnL. The show was great and not just a Marcus Miller ''see how fast I can play'' show. Everyone on stage got to show us their skills. The guitar players leg and footwork is something to be seen.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like Dean Brown was on point as usual. I love Dean... very entertaining.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As far as ticket price, what's it worth to "not" see him is my hindsight question? I never saw Jaco... and I could have, many times. :eyebrow: