1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

marcus miller IV & V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thunderbolt, Apr 14, 2010.

1. I was looking on musician's friend this morning, drooling over a MM V in sunburst and I noticed that the 5 string version is over a thousand dollars more than the 4 string version, which dosen't even come with a case. Why wouldn't a $1400 instrument come with a case, and why would adding an extra string cost $1000? :help:

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I believe the 5 string is US made.

3. J Hud

J Hud

Feb 18, 2006
    DFW
    You are correct.

4. Yeah the V is USA made and the IV is Japanese, but mine didnt come with a case, i had to pay extra!

Fantastic bass.

5. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    My Marcus V came with a case... Its one of those Fender vintage case with the red felt inside.

Although maybe I did pay for it and it was already included in the price tag.

Either way, its an awesome bass!! But from what I have heard so is the Marcus IV

6. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Hey,

I have owned both a MM IV and a MM V... Surprisingly enough, I found the Japanese built IV much better!!! It was such an awesome bass - great action, super funky sound and very even across all strings.

The V was also a great bass except for one important thing. The B-string felt a little floppy and sounded too flat to my liking... I think that can sometimes be a general problem when building 5-string basses with a "34. But then again, a Stingray or a Sadowsky is also 34", and they have great B-strings!

In conlusion, the V is an OK bass, but a little expensive given the weakness in the B-string (IMHO), but the IV is an absolute steal!

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    As stated by everyone else, the Marcus 5 is a totally different bass. Made in the USA, different neck construction with reinforcement, preamp, pickups, vintage hardshell case, etc. The Marcus 4 is a great bass in it's own right and is made in Japan. To my knowledge, no Fender bass from Japan comes in a hardcase, its the just the way they do it. The reissues, Marcus, Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, etc, all come in good gigbags