1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, or Vic Wooten?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mr Top 10, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Mr Top 10

Mr Top 10

Nov 22, 2006
    Which of these three bassist's styles do you prefer? Even if you enjoy all three emensely, in which order do you like them?

I've only RECENTLY become even somewhat exposed to them...and I really enjoy Miller's sound.

What do you think? Thanks.

2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    tone wise...Jaco.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    To me:

Jaco Is a legend who amassed a huge volume of influential work in a very short period of time. He did it at the ensemble level with Joni Mitchell, Pat Metheny, and Weather Report and at the solo level. He was also a great composer who changed the perception of the instrument. You can truly say his name with Miles, Trane, Bird, and the Prez.

Marcus, Is becoming some one on the same level, probably not as big of a voice changer (their were plenty of slappers and great R & B players before him). But he has a unique voice, a sound, and has written some great standards. He is a great producer a multi instrumentalist and true genius. Some day it's not hard to imagine Marcus name being right in their with Jaco, Miles, Bird and Trane. Especially if he gets back on track after Silver Rain UGHH!!:D

Victor, At this point is a great technical player who has taken the standards of chops on the instrument to new levels. I find him painful to listen too for extended periods of time, because his compositional and improvisational skills are not at the same level of the greats, yet. Could he get there? Sure, He has the playing skills, but beyond that I'm just not sure.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    All brilliant in their own ways.

But, if you make me pick one, for me it's gotta be:

Jaco

5. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    this is like asking if you prefer to walk fast, jog, or run slow.
    but i'd have to choose Wooten

6. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Jaco always. For me, his phrasing alone sets him above the rest, not to mention his composing, arranging, stamina, and redefining of the bass.

7. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Why bother they are all great and legends of bass. They all draw attention because of bass pyrotechnies they can perform, but not enough pay attention to how they all play what is necessary for the song when not the front man.

Jaco did it with Joni and Methney and others. Marcus came up in the studios and sideman and so great playing. Check some of the old Luther records and Dave Sanborn. Then Victor has the disadvantage of the recording scene Jaco and Marcus came up in doesn't exist anymore. I have heard some things with Victor playing with others and like Jaco and Marcus plays what the music calls for.

So I listen and learn from all three. :bassist:

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    They all are part of the chain, you need all the links, just like Jaco needed Jemmott etc.

9. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Out of the three, I think Marcus Miller is the most "influencial" for me. I really love his approach of bass, and he definitely has the sound I prefer out of the three.

10. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    Claypool wails on all three of em nuff said

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I gotta go with Marcus Miller. He's a master of several instruments! He's a master producer who's produced Grammy winning projects for Luther Vandross, David Sanborn and several movie soundtracks. Also the fact that he can play like both Jaco and Victa at any given moment. Yes he's known as a slapper but he can play any style with the best of them! Teen Town..........slapped? Insane! I don't think I've heard anyone cop that one yet....played cleanly! I also think Silver Rain was a d@mn good cd!

12. Well Les has a voice but it is a different one. I reply respectfully to your admiration of Claypool. But this is a different ball game in one Les cannot compete.

Les can slap and tap and produce some well crazy lines. But he cannot solo or play jazz as evidenced in his recordings. And probably thank **** for that...

13. +1

14. jaco then marcus then vic.. vic is the only one i've seen live but i can def put him at the bottom of those three

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Jaco and Vic are probably my two favorites, period (or 2 of my 3 favorites, the third being Oteil Burbridge). While Marcus is a sick, sick beast of a bassist, I just cannot stand his tone. Scooped mids make me feel like the "wind" has been taken out of the sound, at least to me.

Vic blows my mind mainly because the dude knows how to groove as well as anyone, regardless of what style he is playing.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

++1 I feel relieved that I'm not the only one who doesn't think highly of Les Claypool. I respect his talent and his place in bassdom but he's not on the same level!

17. theres definatley 2 of these threads going at once.

18. For me?

1. Jaco
    2. Vic
    3. Marcus

19. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Wooten. Woot.

20. have you heard his version of Silly Putty?