Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x4x, Aug 22, 2004.

1. x4x

May 10, 2003
    I'm thinking on buying a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass (MIJ)

Has anyone played one? hows the tone? overall quality etc?

Also, i was looking for a picture of the bass in Olympic White, but haven't found it yet ... any help?

thank you
  2. geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    hi x4x,I own one,it plays and sounds really well,I ve had no probs so far.I had a Fender 75 reissue MIJ before,MIJ Fender jazz basses are really well made (at least in my experience).the tone really stands out when the pre amp is on. In the passive mode the tone control doesnt work.I am thinking of getting an U-RETRO pre amp,which has a tone control option in passive mode,also has mid control when it is active.the pre amp on MM4 is quite good but what I ve heard is MM4 with u-retro sounds even better :))
    I would say try one out and see if you like it,it aint a very expensive bass either! good luck mate
  3. x4x

May 10, 2003
    what color do you have? some pictures would be nice

and does that pickup cover bug you? It certainly looks classy but i think it might limit finger movement and positioning?
  4. geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    i have the natural one,I dont keep the pickup cover on,I didnt feel very comfortable with it.sorry mate I havent got any pics of it at the mo.I think sunburst looks really cool too,sometimes I am thinking I should have bought that one! also,if you solo any of the pick ups ,it is noisy,(which is normal with single coil pick ups),you might also consider getting a Fender jazz (probably a MIJ,or MIA) and get a good pre amp installed,I am sure it would sound cool.
  5. Google it son :eyebrow: :p
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Mine in action....

I Love It! Seriously, bang for the buck, this bass owns.
  7. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    You know I've heard a couple of MM4's with the u-retro preamp and to be honest with you they sounded rather thin and light in the ass IMO However the one that I got to test drive a GC had the stock preamp and sounded much fatter.Oh well,whatever it is still a real nice bass for the price.
  8. I had a MM for a while and really didnt get on with it..

The Electronics are pure S***

The neck was awfully uncomfortable after a long period of playing..

Was thrilled with the build quality either..

It just lack soul it didnt punch through the mix and fingerstyle playing was lack lustered.. the slap sound was indeed very good...

If i were u..

Do what i did.!!!

Buy an ATK and keep the change..!!!
  9. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    You need to play one for yourself.. I bought one without playing first, based on glowing reviews and was seriously disappointed. Sounded cheap, one pickup died, and it made all sort of awful noise. :(
  10. I too have had mixed results with these...I played a bunch of them because I liked the looks and of course his tone :D !! But I never could really find 1 that had everything just right....

Then...I ran across a guy who needed the bread who had a blondie and played his and wooohooo! perfect in every way! (got it cheap 2 :hyper: !) I haven't had to do a thing to it....I do need to put some Sadowsky nickels on it but other than that she's great! My advice play a BUNCH of them and when you find "THE ONE" buy it! they are really hard to beat for the money....