Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass luvah, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I have a question.

(I've tried to use 'search' for everything related to my question/issue. please bear with me)

With the Marcus Miller bass, if you change the preamp into an 18v pre, can you fit two 9v batteries in the compartment? To be more specific, if you use a Bartolini NTMB918F (or something like that), can you fit the preamp in the control cavity and the two 9v in the battery compartment? If not, can you fit the other battery in the control cavity? Or do you have to "cut" some wood out to accomodate such a setup?

I'm asking all these because I intend on changing the preamp on my Marcus Miller bass as soon as it arrives. I've already placed an order for the bass here in my local music store (Long & Mcquade) and I've been waiting for a week now. Waiting sucks :crying:

I know some of you might suggest a U-Retro custom fit for the bass but I am on a budget and I want to keep the existing knob placement of the bass. I've read about Bartolini, Aguilar and the U-Retro pre(s) in this forum and decided to go with the Bartolini.

Thanks for the response.

2. You'll need to rework wood, but not a good solution...IMHO
    there's perhaps place for battery near preamp, but im not sure...
    I'll go with the sadowsky preamp soon, because I tried it with the marcus and sound killer....

Vince

3. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Are you itching to get rid of the MM Preamp?

4. I see. Thanks.

Vince, what made you decide on a Sadowsky preamp? Isn't it a 2 band EQ? What genre of music do you play and what is your playing style? Sorry about the 21 questions, I just want to know what are your deciding factors. Thanks.

5. sdguyman, from what I read, the stock preamp is not all that good. But I am willing to give it a trial run to see if it's good enough for me (novice bassist).

6. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I'm not exactly sure how close the stock preamp is compared to that MM has in his but MM's sound is pretty darn good.

I know he had his modified by someone but I was not sure if Fender adopted it???

7. I agree with you on Marcus' sound and style. It's simply A+.

I read from his site that he had Sadowsky modify his bass with a Bartolini 2 band pre and read that the stock pre is alright and can come close - but not that close - to Marcus' sound. Besides, the pre is just one piece of the 1001 piece puzzle :D

I guess what I am really after is that I want to make the Marcus Miller bass a versatile bass that I can use for church and maybe for gigs (if i can get one :rolleyes: ). Versatile in the sense that it can be a slap machine that can switch to a fingerstyle funk machine with the flick of a switch (in my case, the tone controls).

8. No probs...
    First of all....I will change soon the preamp (2nd of april!) because the Fender stock preamp is ...so so...ok!
    Bass boosts are very well, but the treble are IMHO horrible, harsh...and I need a bit mode possibilities, I miss a passive tone...

So, I checked some preamp, and found somebody who put the sadowsky one and it was...perfect...more boost, for bass and treble...possibility of having a vintage tone control...so more possibilities!
    And no rework needed, it's a four knobs system....active/passive, as the standard preamp! Both are 2 band EQ yes, but Sad is really better quality, more musical...
    So the choice appeared in front of me!

I'm playing many things (not good but...), from Rock to Jazz Rock, funk, blues,etc...

Vince

9. Now I see why you chose the Sadowsky pre. If i really have to "cut" the wood on my future bass, then I might just dismiss the thought of using a Bartolini pre (or am I?). We'll see. :D

I'm a novice bassist myself and I'm sure you're a great bassist. One more question, what does the Vintage tone control do?

**Lovely F bass, by the way!

10. Thanks for comments on F Bass... ;)
    About the vintage tone control, I bet is it a tone that work in passive, if it work in active too, I'll be more than happy, as the F Bass has that tone in both modes, that's a pure pleasure....
    I tried only the "normal" preamp...

Vince

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Funny you mention that you would like to use the MM4 or5 ( you didn't say which) for church and other gigs.Well,like you I waiting on mind also,but there are a few players here in my neck of the woods that has the MM5,and it has pretty much became there main axe whether it be R&b,gospel,CCM,Jazz,and even hiphop in its' "stock form,but there is a guy here that has a "Sunburst one that does have the Sadowsky preamp,and it is down right "sick ! to say the least,it's not that great on the mids,but it's "humongus on the lows.
    His MM5 is defiantly and eye opener with the Sadowsky pre.

12. I'll check the Sadowsky out! Thanks again.

13. Hey hands5! I am waiting for the 4 string version of the bass. What about you? I am not sure if the pre on the 4 and 5 string version is the same. If it is, and based from what you've posted, the stock pre might just be enough for me. :D

Also, you mentioned the Sadowsky pre as well. I'm going to his website to check it out.

14. Check out the Sadowsky outboard preamp...it is the same as his onboard in a footswitch pedal version that you can use on ANY bass without having to modify anything!!! I use it all my non Sadowsky basses.......

Peace,

T

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you used it on a Sadowsky, would the bass implode?

16. LOL...no but the Sadowsky already has the same preamp onboard!

T

17. Thanks tommixx. I'll check that one out too. :bassist:

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Exactly. Some kind of space-time-continuum would be violated. Or something.