Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Aug 8, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Hey I went to guitar center today, walked in the rumble room, and there was this guy playing some awsesome funk slap and i was talking to him for a while, he showd me a few things, and he said the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass it the best bass they sell and plus it dont cost that much, and he said he has $3000 custom basses and would still consider buying the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass if he had the money on him.
    Have any of you ever played a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass? do you like them?
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    while i agree that the Digitech Synth Wah pedal is my favorite as well, i cannot agree with this person's opinion- i have played the Marcuses and i was not floored at all, i prefer the Fender Am Dlx and then there is SO MUCH MORE between that and a $3000 bass!
  3. I would actually agree with that statement to a point.......I too have basses that cost $3,000 or more BUT, I just sent 1 of my 2 Marcus Millers to the guys at Sadowsky to put in an onboard preamp and a set of PUPS......I will tell you though that you should really look at a bunch of them before you buy one......I have bought 5 over the last couple of years and the one I got a couple of weeks ago just had all the right attributes to add the PUPS and onboard pre.....the one I just sent off weighs just a tad under 9lbs while the other one I have weighs just over 12 lbs!! BIG difference....the one I sent off felt better and the overall finish was a lot better than the other I have.......I will probably keep the heavier one as a backup because it is a good bass just not as good as the one I sent my opinion, take a good Marcus Miller and set it up well, add a Sadowsky outboard pre (which I have been doing for about a year now) and you have a very good Poor man's Sadowsky!!

Still NOT getting rid of my Sadowskys though!!

Good luck.......

4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I don't know about comparing it to $3,000 basses - I guess that depends on how much stock you put into basses that cost that much.

But for $750-800, I don't think you can find a whole lot that's nicer. I've been gigging with mine regularly for about a month, and I _love_ it. I don't slap all that much (and by that, I mean not really at all), and I still love it, even though it's often labeled as a "slap machine". Construction is top notch, and definitely on par with American Fenders. Having the switchable preamp is nice.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a matter of fact, one's my numero uno basso... it's got a '57 Reissue Precision neck, but the body is still 100% Marcus Miller. Great bass, sounds great, and I wouldn't shake a stick at it, and I don't believe there is a better bass for $800 new. I very seldom slap, and frankly, I usually leave the switch on the passive setting, and switch it on for a slight bass boost, that's all. GREAT Jazz bass.
  6. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I love my Marcus Miller. I don't slap, and the bass works great fingerstyle (IIRC, the bass palyer mag review said the same thing). The woodgrain on mine is incredible, looks like it was bookmatched or something on the back. I did a few mods; took out the preamp (I didn't like the pre at all, pretty noisy and a bit extreme for my taste, I run it through an Aguilar db924 outboard, which I am really happy with), sold the pickups and put in a set of Jason Lollar single coils (I seem to be the only one around here who talks about his pickups, but they are killer), replaced the badass with a Fender American (top-load or strings thru), installed a tone bypass switch. There are some minor issues with the bass(some stripped pickguard screws, dings, minor stuff), but all in all, it was a great bass for not a ton of dough. I've had a lot of luck recording with it too.
  7. I really dig the MMiller jazz, but there's no way on earth or anywhere else i'd compare it to a Roscoe or Fbass...there's just no way. Mybe he meant he'd buy it just to slap around? :p
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like those basses. Unusual knob array and all :bassist:
  9. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    for the same money i would get a ksd anyday
  10. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

never had the bass but had two sets of pups from them - and although they sounded very similar, they didn't sound alike (even in the same bass through the same rigging). I kept the set that worked particularly well in one of my basses and to date, it's the best Fender pup I've run across (Fender vintage to my knowledge). In fact is probably my favorite set overall. I sold the other set to a TB'r in my recollection and he stuck them in an MIM (I think) and a guy he knew that owned a Sad played it and was VERY suprised. Called it a poorman's Sad.

I don't use pre's and never hooked up the MM pre that came with one set of the pups so can't speak for it. Just moved it on down the road.
  11. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I think you may have bought those p/u's from me...
    Glad you dig 'em. Once I had the preamp out of the bass, they never seemed right to me...
    ymmv and all that... :)
  12. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I've tried a few and found them it bit variable finish wise. I do think they are a great bass for the money, particularly if you can find a secondhand one in good nick. Personally I found the pre a bit wanting (thin) and would suggest you try a few MIA Deluxes before you finally decide. Killer looks though!
  13. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeh, I think your right. I've had so many pups I can't remember where what came from. Quality vintage Fender J tone - pretty hard to beat when it comes right down to it. Very versatile. When I go through a flat spot with pups or feel I'm going tone deaf, I plop those pups back in a bass and regain perspective. In fact I've just gone through that experience. They've become a benchmark.

I just pulled them last night to run a set of Fender Noiseless, which I only fired up for testing and dinked around solo a bit. So I haven't played the Noiseless to music but I it doesn't look like they'll hold a candle to the MM's. They're actually pretty dark and thuddy and not vintage J sounding at all - which is what I've heard and expected.

Running pups straight the jacks like I do makes a major difference with some pups - and the MM's are such pups.
  14. hi just a display of ignorance but why is there a $500 difference between the 4 and 5 string versions of MM jazz bass? normally there is like only $100 difference for the extra string?
    please enlighten me :help:
  15. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    The 4 is made in Japan the 5 in USA
  16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I really like the Marcus Millers, and even before Tommixx had his sent to Roger Sadowsky for the mods, I had been considering doing the same thing. Some of the Marcus's I've picked up have played like a dream, while others have been pretty lousy. I was just in the Richmond GC last weekend (where Tommixx bought his super-light MM), and I found one that had to be at least 12 lbs, and had one of the top three worst setups I've ever seen. The G string was so close to the neck, it was hard to play without significant buzz, but the A and D strings were so far away from the pickups that the bass had zero midrange. Either way, I will own one someday.
  17. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I love my MM bass! If the vintage 70 jbass growl is what you're after, this bass has it in spades. Is it comparable to a $3,000 boutique bass? No - it isn't - because these basses don't come off the rack/out of the box perfect and ready to go. For instance, these basses can be noisy at times and the stock preamp by my ear leaves a lot to be desired. But, if you're willing to put the time in and tweak this bass the way you want it, you'll be rewarded for it.
  18. jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Here's my MMjb story

So after reading a million posts about how wonderfull jazz basses were i went out on Friday night and picked up a Marcus Miller JB.
    I was at Guitar center on amateur night, so i really couldn't hear the bass that well in the store.
    I got it home and tried to set it up so the four strings all were the same volume. Intonated the bridge etc.

Well after playing it for an hour i picked up my 50th anniversary P Bass. That's it for the Jazz. The P Bass just killed the MMJB. It sounded a million times better. The string balance is perfect the tone is round and full.
    The MM is going back to GC today.

P.S. I hated the boost only preamp.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just aquired a Marcus Miller 4. I love this bass. If there is anything that gives it negative points is it's weight!! The thing is heavier than a mofo!! It's gotta be over 10lbs or 11lbs easy! I can deal with the shrill highs of the pre-amp.
  20. While I'm not a big fan of the MM Jazz bass, I kind of get a kick out of people buying it and then saying there's too much high end, or I like my P Bass better. It's a MARCUS MILLER bass guys!!!!! That means that this bass is made to attempt to get a sound similar to Marcus's large, heavy, full body sized, 70's jazz with brite roundwound strings and an aggressive active preamp. If that's not the sound you are looking for.... you would probably be better off with another version of a Jazz Bass, etc. :confused: