Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Mar 7, 2003.

1. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I did a search on this bass but didn't find mush about the sound. "It sounds great" doesn't really help as its an opinion. What I'm looking for is a description of the tone compared to a MIA jazz bass. And how good are the electronics compared to bartolini, sadowsky or EMG?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The electronics are fine IMO. Some people do change them out. It generally sounds like a 70's Ash Jazz, naturally bright with good depth, very nice for slapping.

3. skankinrabbit

skankinrabbit

Aug 26, 2000
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/505/driver_friendly_its_happy_.html

I play a MM Jazz Bass on all of those recordings. I don't change the tone at all throughout the entire thing, but... well, you can hear me playing it, if that helps with your tone decision. In the beginning of "Jeremi Can't Skank" I play alone, so you can hear what I sound like playing an MM Jazz bass through a GK combo.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hmm, you must have read my posts, I say "sounds great" all the time.

I don't own one, but I've played three different MM basses. They seem to be pretty consistent in workmanship and tone. This bass will definitely get you very close to the Marcus-style tone, provided you have a new set of strings and a decent rig. I say "close to" because as many have said, much of Marcus's tone comes from his fingers. So, listen to a Marcus CD, or the live concert DVD. That's the tone! The formula seems to be the ash body, maple neck, and two band eq set at specific frequency points to emulate the actual Marcus bass.

Some of the the stock Jazz Basses get close to that tone, but not as close as the Signature MM in my opinion.

Ofcourse, it goes without saying... the Marcus tone may not be the ideal tone for everyone. I happen to like it for some funk applications.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I got rid of one because of the weight and the tone. Even without the preamp on, it's incredibly bright sounding, to the point of harshness. Lots of high mids and growl - just didn't have the bassiness I needed.

The preamp lets you add in some depth with the bass control, but doesn't do much to take away the high end. If you want a more polite sounding instrument, get a rosewood/alder jazz.