Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danny R., May 5, 2003.

1. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I had this cool bass for about 2 months, I got it from mister GhettoBrassGuy, well, after about 19 gigs I can say that I've finally found my tone :D I love the funky sound and feel of my Miller, the neck is thin and fast and I love the block inlays and white binding, this is really a slapping machine, I tried the new Marcus Miller V at the NAMM show and it rocks, I might sell my Smith to get the 5 strings version, the only thing that I don't like is that it only has 20 frets so tapping is a little limited, but really, if you guys like Jazz basses you should really check the Marcus Miller, I didn't like Fenders at all but my Miller made me a Fender believer:bassist:
    Danny :ninja:
  2. Danny R.

3. Danny R.

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Sweet looking bass. I have always been intrigued by the MM Jazz Bass.
  5. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    Great lookin bass!!

Listened to the sound clip at the Fender site, sounds just like my '75, piano crank tone, same good looks too, love it!!

Your right about the 20 frets, but it's kept me happy many a year and many more to come.

Glad you talked about the 5 string, been thinking about one for awhile, but I wanted to keep my tone. Looks like the MM Jazz could be a fun addition.

6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's the ONLY 'fender' jazz that i've liked.

i can't wait for my essex '75 jazz to get here...don't know if i'm going to want to put flats and a tortoise guard on it to make it a thumper, or DR's to make it a marcus wannabe.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm really looking forward to trying the Marcus 5 :cool:
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Sweet bass!!! I want one!
  9. Danny R.

Those new essex 75 jazz basses are really sweet, I'm thinking on buying one as a back up, let me know how it plays ;)
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had one for about four months and sold it. Too bright-sounding for my taste. Also, it weighed a ton.
  11. Here is my MM I really like the sunburst, but I can´t stand the pickup-cover. Jazz with a killer tone!!!:D
  12. Sorry I should have put it this way: I couldn´t stand pickup cover, so I removed it. (I don´t have camera so I took the picture from the stores website.
  13. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thats a really nice looking bass. I've always had a thing for the MArcus Miller jazz basses, but they weigh too much for my liking.
  14. Danny R.

Man, I love the sunburst color,
    Actually, I removed the cover (same reason) here's the "naked" picture :D

Oh yeah, it might be a little bright, but that's why I put tons of bass in my amp, and the weight it's ok by me, that's just my opinion.;)
  15. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hey, how much do those go for in Sweden? Is it comparable to a "real" Jazz from the seventies? And where the heck is Gråbo? ;)
  16. Gråbo lies three miles from Göteborg. I bought my bass used for 7500 SEK. I have heard sokme people say that the MM bass is heavy. My bass isn´t heavy at all. I think this bass sounds pretty much like a 70s jazz, but more "HiFi" (not super HiFi but a little bit HiFi)
  17. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks man..
  18. I love my Marcus Miller Jazz Bass and do like the pickup cover; I think it adds character, although it does prevent certain artifical harmonics. It's definitely a slap machine, and no other bass has quite the same slap sound; in fact, I much preferred the MM slap tone over the Stingray.

I thought the weak link was the stock preamp, so I swapped it out for a U-Retro (thanks to Steve Dude Barr). I can't be happier now. The bass sound does have a lot of bite, which took me a while to get used to (I'm used to the warm round tones of my passive RB5, my No. 1), but I can adjust for that by fiddling with the preamp. Great bass.

I find it funny that my two favorite basses are from the Fender artist signature series. They must be doing something right. I'll definitely test drive a MM5 if it comes to a store near me.
  19. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Marcus's own bass has a Bartolini preamp that was installed by Roger Sadowsky. I guess Fender doesn't put the Bart preamp in the MM sig, as they don't want you to sound TOO much like Marcus! ;)
  20. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I thought Marcuse had a Sadowsky preamp. What are the specs on his bass?