Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Jazz Basses: What Ash? N. or Swamp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim T., Jun 11, 2004.

1. I'm near finalizing my new bass' wood choices and I would like to know if the majority of Marcus Miller Jazz basses are hard Northern Ash (very heavy) or light swamp ash or somewhere in the middle/ medium density swamp ash.

I've done a search here and looked at some Fender sites but it remains unclear if the type of ash varied over the years or not.
    If anyone knows for certain what Marcus' '70's ash was I'd appreciate knowing that.

I was originally told that my Fodera had N. Ash body (it's very heavy but DOES have an Ebony top...) but Fodera has finally informed me that it was a medium swamp ash, so I'd like to compare what I have with what I hear from Marcus' bass, tonally.
    Thanks very much, Jim

2. zawali

zawali

Sep 28, 2003
    France (PARIS)
    i found that M2 jB are very heavy : it couldn't be made of Swamp ash

3. That's what I thought too, but my Fodera is very heavy and it's supposedly "medium" swamp ash. I realize that the ebony top is heavy too but the bass seems to be heavier than just the ebony would acount for...
    Anybody know of a vintage Fender site that would say for sure?

Thanks

4. I have miller jazz and it´s very light! I´ve tried two other miller basses. One of them was very heavy and the other one was somewhere in the middle of these in terms of weight.

5. Just played a MM 4 this week myself and it could not have been over about 9 pounds or so tops! I almost bought it! ( I already own 1!) Mine is also in the 9 pound range but maybe just a little heavier than the last 1 I played....

T

6. Ah! I just had a brilliant thought. via Mr. Albert Molinari.
    Mr. Sadowsky would probably know seeing as he works on that actual/specific bass. I'll try asking him!