Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Jazz IV, neck profile: Similar to Geddy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm kicking around the idea for a Geddy, but then I'm cruising around the Fender site (to confirm that the body wood for a Geddy is indeed alder) and I notice the Marcus Miller Jazz IV. The kind of music I play (or mostly, WANT to play, I won't even bother trying to claim I can play Marcus's stuff, becuase I can't) and the tone I'm going for is MUCH closer to Marcus's than Geddy's. However, if there's one thing I'm very picky about, it's necks. This is one of the big factors that attracted me to the Geddy: the bloody PERFECT neck. What's the neck on the Marcus like? Similar to the Geddy's? Similar to a regular American Jazz? Similar to...what?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The neck on the Marcus is similar to a 70's Jazz. Not the same width or profile as the Geddy Lee model. The GL is the only bass with that neck profile.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Er, I have a slightly limited frame of reference, and 70's jazz basses are not inside said reference. Can you tell me how it compares to the geddy? Wider/slimmer? Same? Thicker/thinner? Same? Is the taper really sudden, or is it more subtle?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Geddy neck is shaved in the back where the skunk stripe is. The front of the neck is basicaly the same.

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have a Geddy and an original 74 jazz. I also have my friends 71 jazz in front of me (and a lot of memories about other jazz basses I've played). There is no other Fender neck like the Geddy Lee neck. If you're particular and you find it comfortable, it shouldn't be too hard or too much to upgrade the pickups and/or add a preamp to get the booty you need in your sound. I think the GL could use a stronger tone but thats easy to do and frankly, I havn't heard anyone complain about the GL's sound to me on a gig yet.