1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marcus Miller Jazz Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by :DChilis:D, Jan 6, 2008.

1. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    I got a M.I.A jazz bass alder body and rosewood fretboard. Looking for that very clean hi fi miller tone.
    I got a bad ass bridge on my bass and now I'm looking to upgrade the pickups and electronics (preamp) suggestions ????

Thanks

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Part of that Miller sound is the placement of his pickups - he's got a 77 Jazz, which put the pickups in different places than current models.

But - get a J-Retro. I've had 3 basses with them, and they do sound amazing and very Marcus like with the stock american pickups.

3. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    um...if there was a way to get his fingers then you'd be set

But seriously a jazz ash body and maple neck with 70's style pickups(i think) and a sadowsky pre you're set.

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Marcus had Roger Sadowsky install a Bartolini preamp in it.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

:)

6. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    I don't got money to buy a new bass, but i want his tone or get close to it :(

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    J-Retro....

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    +1

9. why would Mr. Sadowsky himself put a Bartolini pre in a Fender Jazz? If I were him I'd put a sadowsky pre in! :smug:

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Because it was in 83 when Marcus requested the Bart(after blowing his original pre,which was made by Stars Guitars) and RS was using Bart pre's before he started offering his own pre.

11. Roger installed a MODIFIED Bartolini TCT preamp in Marcus' bass. This was before Roger had his own Sadowsky brand.

EDIT: You beat me to it Jauqo.

12. jonno1707

jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    You will have a VERY tough time getting Marcus's tone out of your bass with that wood combo..
    His bass and the reissue models are all Ash body and Maple fingerboard's which will yield the big bottom and crystal clear high end your looking for..
    If you get your hands on a bass with this combo and find an old Bartolini 2 band pre you will be in heaven..

13. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    EMG's pickups......... :bag:

Seriously, EMG's can brighten a bass with a rosewood board.

14. jonno1707

jonno1707

Apr 1, 2006
    Nanuet N.Y.
    EMG's will definitey make the tone brighter but wont get you the Marcus sound....

15. MSIMSBASS

MSIMSBASS

Nov 25, 2007
    Get an Bartolini XTCT 2 band from Mas Hino in Tokyo Japan (Atielier Z) It will get you to the sound. The preamp cost about $200 american. It is treble and bass boost only. I
    heard one in a Marcus Copy bass and it had the attack and bite of MM. I would recommend it if you could get one.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021