Marcus Miller Jazz vs. Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maju dragon, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Marcus Miller Fender Jazz

30 vote(s)
  2. Geddy Lee Fender Jazz

30 vote(s)
  1. Which one of these basses would you get if money wasnt a factor. simply based on sound, feel, you know, the good stuff.
    sorry in advance if this topic has been beaten to death...i dont think it has, but i dont know.
  2. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I like the Geddy better than the Marcus Miller. Then again, I'm a passive bass kinda guy. I don't dig the massive pickguard on the Marcus, and the neck feels too chunky to me.
  3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I would choose the Geddy simply for the sake of versatility.

The Marcus has a very specific kind of tone that either you like or you don't like. IMO, that makes it a very specialized kind of tool.

OTOH, a passive Jazz like the Geddy will take you just about any place you need to go. I can't think of a gig or a musical situation where the Geddy would be impossibly out of place.
  4. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I don't think this an either/or. The Marcus is great for Funk. Ash body, maple neck, very much in a certain style. The Geddy is more a classic 70's std J Bass.

I own a Marcus 4, but also real 70's Jazzes, different instruments for different things.

(Hmm Rudy's on 48th st had 3 mid 70's Jazzes I just played at Lunch, plus they had a 67. Then the other guy bought the natural 75 Jazz, $2495, no discount, thank you very much!)
  5. flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I would get the MM but change the preamp. Either an Alleva~Coppolo along with a passive tone control or an Aguilar OBP2.
  6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I have an MM but I removed the pickups and preamps, and replaced it with a passive V/B/T setup and put Aero pickups in it. It's not a "funk only" bass by any means.

That said, play both, see what YOU like. They're both sweet basses for the money.
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like both tones, but I like the MM tone better. The Marcus bass is also sexier.
  8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    mmmm block inlays on the geddy.

also the pickguard on the MM doesnt look classic jazz style enough

But id have to say I really like chrome covers.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I voted Marcus because I own one. My #1 bass, and I'm going to have a Geddy soon too.
  10. I'd pick the Marcus so that I had a bass I could slap to get some solid slap-tones. Right now, my two fretted basses have flats on 'em. That said, they're both great basses - the Marcus would just give me a little more variety right now.
  11. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Geddy is more versatile and looks tradtional. The MM looks and sounds distinct. I think the MM sounds better with a few mods.
  12. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    listen to taking back sunday for some awesome examples of what the mm can do.
  13. DRZ400Bassman

Nov 6, 2005
    I couldn't vote for either, i have never held either of those basses in my hands that did not have a significant manufacturing flaw. I have been looking for years to find any, and i mean any, fender in a shop with a strait neck, strait screws, proper nut, correct string spacing, square bridge, proper neck to body fit, etc. Usually it has faults in all those areas. Until I actually see or play one that doesn't look like it was thrown together by a bunch of drunken monkey's my money will go to the proven mass producers.
  14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The Marcus may have the "potential to become" a better bass. I personally like the pearl block inlays and the first thing I'm going to do for my Geddy is get a pickup cover. The expanded pre amp cavity makes it easier to drop in a variety of pre amps but the stock pre amp is very limited and noisy. The Geddy appears to me to be a better bass "out of the box" and the price difference gets you a head start on the mods. Unfortunately with the Marcus you pay extra for a pre amp that really needs to be replaced unless all you want is one sound. If your a slapper it's a great deal but the Geddy is far more versatile.
  15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd go for the Marcus Jazz, even though I love geddy to death and don't really care for Marcus. I'd get a Wal if I wanted to do a Geddy Lee tone, I'd want the Marcus for doing some of the less techincal slap stuff I do.