Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller mod questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr. Pitiful, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Hello, I have a MM 4string that I absolutely love.I have a few questions I need help with though.

1. That damm 60 cycle hum that happens when you dont have the pickups at the same volume. Yes, I can just keep them at the same volume, but its not the same tone I get when turning down the bridge pickup.
    How do I get rid of it? Will the copper sheilding tape work?

2. I would like to either replace the pickups or replace the pre amp. I am leaning toward the Aguilar OBP1. Will this pre amp and batteries fit in my cavity (insert joke here)?

Thanks.
    I appreciate the help.

Mr. Pitiful

2. I think that Lyle Caldwell posted something on here about shielding recently (look under the FAQ post at the top of this forum). Look into getting some humcancelling pickups like the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz series. Do a search in this forum....there's tons of information.

3. Willy Franklin

Willy Franklin Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey, just an FYI... Marcus is featured in this months Bass Player magazine this month. Seems that his old faithful '77 Jazz has the stock pickups with a "modified" Bartolini preamp. Sadowsky did something to it... And I believe that the answer is shielding.

I conversed with Roger a while back and at the time, he wouldn't let anyone install his preamp except him, all because of improper shielding.

Hope this helps!

-W

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Interesting stuff. I have a Marcus Miller 4 and I had the pre-amp, pickups, and bridge replaced. No pre, Jason Lollar single coils, and a fender string thru or top load bridge. I love the bass, but hated the pre-amp. Once the pre was removed, the pickups sounded very thin and quiet to me. I had them pulled (I'm not very handy) and a guy on here bought the pickups and loves them, so maybe it was me. I'm not sure, but I think he got the pre as well. I love it with the singles now, but yeah, it can get a bit buzzy, so if someone finds some good shielding stuff, maybe link it here? I would love to see it. The MM has a great neck and feel, but I have had a hard time getting it intonated just right. Seems that the high notes on the G string are a bit off. I keep getting it fiddled with, and it seems like it's as perfect as it's going to get, so I now leave it alone (not supposed to be playing up there anyway ;) ). Other than that, it's great, the single coils seemed to really open it up. And it has a tone bypass switch that I also dig....

Oh yeah, I use it with one of the Aguilar outboard pre-amps (Db924?)...

5. pdxmar

pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    I own the MM jazz bass and love it also. What I did was to sheild the pickup cavities with copper shielding just like Lyle Caldwell instructed. Got the copper shielding from guitar electronics. When I was finished with this I took out the preamp and installed a bartolini 2 band preamp. Not only is the sound better but I love the pickup blend, volume and the fact that the battery..ie. the preamp can be bypassed. :smug: