Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazamamaster, Feb 6, 2006.

1. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Guys, I'm going to be purchasing the MM 4 very soon. If any of you have any experience with changing the pre-amp to the J-retro MM could you explain the difference? Also, are any other pickguards available anywhere for the MM model?

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    From what I've been told, the Marcus Miller J-retro model has been discontinued due to inconsistent quality of the control plate that come with it. According to Steve Barr, Jeannie's pickguards has a template for the pickguard.

3. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I was going to be ordering a MM 4 this week. What does changing the pre-amp do?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I've played a few MMs in stores and think they sound fine the way they are. A lot of people have argued about changing out the preamp and the general consensus has been that the preamp is not as crucial to the sound as people think. The biggest factor is the Fender ash body, maple neck and '70s pickup placement.

5. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I dropped a J-Retro preamp in my MM.
    it change the bass totally. Its high quality circuit used three stacked knobs plus a single knob for vintage tone control.
    It includes an active blend circuit plus a three band equalizer with bass, varible frequency mid, treble, and bright function.
    The passive tone circuit operates in both active and passive modes. This preamp is designed by John East http://www.east-uk.com/jrhome.htm it was a bit pricy at $350.00 but for the tone I am now getting from the MM it is well worth the money. Stock I felt like it was just a slap instrument. The J-Retro has made it a very versatile j bass.
    By the way I sold the MM to help finance the F Bass.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    OK, whats the link to Jeannie's pickguards?