1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marcus miller pickups - 70's vintage, right?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardolph, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Just making sure that I'm correct in thinking the pickups in the Marcus Miller signature bass are 70's style pickups. Are they the same pickups you'd find in a 70's reissue jazz bass?

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Is it ok to bump this thread? cause if not then I certainly will not do it...

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    gotta be somebody :meh:

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I didn't even know Fender had a 70's re-issue bass. But I have had about a dozen Fender pups and none sound like the Marcus Millers.

You could try emailing Fender but the only time I emailed them I got zip.

I did a TB search and there's a dude that hangs out in the Basses forum that looked like he may know Fender stuff. Seems Fender was even part of his screen name so you could probably locate him from that. My question was about 60's CS's and turns out they've made several versions of those -some of which don't even use the same materials/construction.

Steve Dude Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Company may also now.

Good luck - and post the results if you get any.

5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    According to the fender site, "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups" (same as the Geddy, Jaguar, and others).

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I guess I meant '75 reissue. I just knew it was some 70's bass.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I've heard that before as well - same pups as the Geddy Lee and Jag

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Well I had a set of pups pulled from a Geddy Lee bass that were OEM. Interestingly, the concensus at the time was those were Vintage '62 re-issues. There are numerous post about the net to that effect. I've had several sets pulled from MM basses. They don't sound like the Geddy's.

CBS did a study when they took over Fender and basically found that musicians heard what they were told. So it's no surprise that they haven't been explicit about their advertising since.

I was actually quite suprised to find such variety in their pups. I expected them to all sound the same. Apparently there's different thinking in the orginzation than the results of that study show. Either that or their quality control is so poor they can't manage to duplicate their own product :D

9. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well I snagged a pair off of ebay, so I'll post some soundclips comparing them to the Dimarzio model J's I have in my jazz now.

10. the main thing in the 70's basses is the spacing isnt it? not so much the type of pickup, more the spacing AFAIK.

11. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I always thought that the Geddy's were '62-reissues as well, at least, i believe i saw them advertised as such.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I can't tell the difference in the same pup moved 3/8" one way or the other. The acoustic properties of the bass (which to my knowledge are not controllable) is likely to make a LOT more difference than that pup space variation.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021