Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller playing a Tele bass for Headhunters 05

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike McGibney, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Hi there. I've read that whilst gigging with Herbie and the Headhunters this year, Marcus has been seen playing a telecaster bass. Just wondering if anyone had any pics of him playing one, as I'm a huge fan of both him and those instruments!

Any comments about the Headhunters gigs would be appreciated too.

Regards

Mike

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Actually he has been using a Sting Signature bass which is a reproduction of a 1951 (?) P-bass. I saw him and he is using it to capture the bass sound of Paul Jackson from the original Headhunters group when he plays the old 1970's tunes. It's just proof that Marcus is a pro, using the tool he needs for the job.

3. Mike McGibney

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Great pic! Thanks Matt!

Dr. Cheese: Thanks for the info. Sting's precision is actual 53/54. You're right about Marcus being a real pro. What a great bass, and sound. Used to have a Sting bass - a one trick pony, really - but what a trick it was!

Kind regards

Mike

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can't help but find it amusing that Marcus Miller, who has a signature replica manufactured by Fender, would use the Fender signature replica of another players' bass. That is cool!

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Why would he be using a 1950's P-Bass when Paul Jackson used a Circa 1970's P-Bass?

6. Mike McGibney

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Well, Phil, I guess perhaps the sound isn't exactly a million worlds away. Maybe the Sting sig suits him better.

Or maybe Fender are trying to ship a few more units!!

Regards

Mike

7. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen...Marcus playing the sting!

I own a Sting, and always thought it was really fun...now I know I am not the only one!

The bass does one sound, but it does it well. I think it is especially good for blues and early motown....and here he is playing early 70's funk with it!

Awesome!

8. Mike McGibney

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Isn't it just, Lucas?

MORE PICS PLEASE!!

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Phil Smith, have you played a Sting or '51 Reissue P-bass? They really have a great P-bass sound even though they have that little single coil instead of the split pickup. I guess it must be the pickup's location. I saw the opening show of that tour, with my own ears, I heard Marcus Miller do a perfect Paul Jackson styled rendition of "Watermelon Man" and a few other old Headhunters tunes. I also thought why not get a split pickup P, but hey, I think Marcus Miller knows what he is doing! ;)

10. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I did replace my PUP with the seymore duncan version.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Yeah, I owned one of the reissues for a brief period. Hated it, the look, the bridge. I do think there's some marketing stuff going on, don't be suprised if you see Sting playing a Marcus Miller Signature. :D

12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Will there be an album with Marcus, or is it just a live show?

13. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    slightly off-topic but has anyone owned/played a tele w/ a humbucker? I didn't know they existed until a few days ago and now i'm real curious--made in the early 70's?

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I thought I saw a picture of Paul Jackson playing a old Tele bass with the Headhunters, or at least a bass with a Tele neck.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I remember the Tele bass with the big humbucker right at the end of the neck. I think they were made into the late '70s also.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The guy in the Hives uses a Tele with a humbucker. I've played one years and years ago. Wasn't impressed. A little too dark sounding for me at the time. Nowadays I'd probably love it.

17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Marcus Miller with a Sting bass? Now that's cool!

(Next thing you know, he'll bust out a Geddy Jazz, which would probably make my head explode or something.)

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can't resist it any longer, Marcus picked up a $600 MIJ Fender to get that old sound and he didn't go for a Sadowsky P-bass or Fodera, two companies with which he is associated. It reminds me of what he said in the FAQ section of website. It was something to the affect that most of the things that make real expensive basses expensive has nothing to to do with playing a good groove. Maybe someone will post the exact quote.