Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Preamp Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 5, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    In an attempt to make myself (somewhat) useful around here, I decided to make some comparison of the often-maligned stock Fender Marcus Miller Signature preamp. Attached are two somewhat poorly played but decently recorded clips of a little slap diddy played with the preamp on and then with it off.

I think that the harshness that most people attribute to the bass gets lost in any kind of mix, even if it's some simple drums like I have.

When the preamp is on, I have the bass and treble controls boosted halfway. I recorded Bass->Sansamp Bass Driver->M-Audio 410->Cubase.

The Sansamp was activated, though I had the EQ flat and the Blend knob only halfway, with the Drive at less than 1/4. There's no compression on the track, as I wanted the somewhat natural compression of the preamp to be noticeable. Some of my hits in the E string might thwoomp a little but, but then again I'm not a slap player by nature. :D

I'd suggest listening through some quality headphones or speakers as opposed to tinny laptop or computer speakers. Listening to the clips on my laptop, I'm hearing some distortion on the low notes that I'm not getting on my AKG headphones.

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Alright.. heres what I think.

First of all, I wasnt a big fan of the bass without the preamp on. It sounded warm, but very very flat and just... not a good slap sound, IMO.

With the pre-amp on there was definitely a noticeable difference (Im playing the clips through Klipsch speakers) in the sound. A lot better, IMO. I think that a lot of the warmth was retained, but it sounded like it was more sensitive to what your fingers were doing. I'm not good at describing sound, but it sounded a little crisper and like it just had more personality to it.

I dont know much of anythign about electronics, so what I'm saying is quite noobish, obviously. just my two cents.

3. That sounds really nice!

I thought that the Preamp On clip sounded better. It just had a fatter sound to it,
    whilst the second clip sounded more 'nasel' to me.

Both clips have a good jazz bass tone.

4. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I have recently gotten my hands on a Marcus Miller Jazz and am currently considering what can be done to modify/change the preamp setup.There are many posts out there dealing with this preamp...and it's difficult to know what to think. However, after careful consideration, I think I've settled on an appropriate mod for me. I am keeping the pre - it just needs a bit more versatility for my taste.
    I like the idea of what you are doing, posting these clips for people to 'hear it believe it' but you really need to thump and pull those strings harder if you want to hear the real difference between the on and off modes -even if you a not a natural slapper. These clips could be recorded using just about any cheap Jazz style bass out there, but the Marcus Jazz has that certain glow when you cut the string-that's what it's made for!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely better with it on, although it doesnt 'wow' me either way.

6. bass1

bass1

Dec 11, 2004
    Dude heres what i know,you sound awsome...if not better than marcus.

We get so tied up with these big name players,the wootens the millers the fleas the claypools we can doit too!!!!!!!!!!

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really actually enjoy the MM preamp, wouldn't pull mine out for anything.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pardon? Better than marcus? Im really confused.

9. bass1

bass1

Dec 11, 2004
    Stop worshiping and start playing.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The bass is sitting comfortably in my lap. :)

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I can't help it! I have a light touch. ;)

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Nothing wrong with the MM preamp. I just didn't really use mine that often, as I thought it cut better in passive. I eventually wound up putting in Aero pups and a passive circuit.