1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller - Renaissance

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have had this album for a while now and I really like some of the tracks - the opener Detroit, has a killer bass riff, which has been going round my head for weeks now.

I also love the fact that Marcus now has a genuine small Jazz group and this is an approach to Jazz that is commercial and funky - but also has all the elements that made Jazz what it was, at its best (apart from bass guitar I suppose! :p)

So - there are nice arranged heads and some great blowing from all the band - it's just a nice Jazz album mostly. There are a few odd tracks that don't fit in, but mostly it's killer bass grooves meet Jazz.

Anybody else got into this?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't think the USA release is until 08/07/12.:(

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Wow - that's strange! It's been out here for a while now. Marcus played it at a few UK gigs and it has been all over Jazz FM on the radio. I have had the CD since 29th May.

Big disparity in release dates - I thought he would be more popular in the US than UK?

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Nah, record labels never made much sense, there is so much great music that are also only available in Japan, or here as expensive imports.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...a Lindfield sighting in 2012?

:meh:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and here's my peeve of 2012.
    The Weather Report Live in Offenbach '78 DVD...has a huge-ass "0" on its cover....so I order it from Amazon (along with a few other gullible schmucks)...and it won't boot up. Obviously, not a Region "0" DVD.
    (Amazon did refund my $)

Then, when you mention this @Amazon...some guy goes off about "...those into this music should already have a Multi-Region player".
    C'mon...the cover has a huge-ass "0" on it.
    And-
    The Weather Report Live in Berlin '75 has the same huge-ass "0" on it...and plays fine.

Anyway, just peeved that those in-power would not release this in order to maximize their consumer base....that's all.
    :)

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  8. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    JimK, if you're on mac osx, send me a pm, there is an easy way around region-restriction.

There is probably one for pc too, but I don't know for sure atm... shrink ?

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, man. I'm not on Mac OS X...not today, anyway. :)

I returned my "Region 0" DVD...the whole Offenbach concert is on youtube now (looks great, too).

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Got my copy! Of course, I had to order international. I think it's his best to date.

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Oh yeah, the whole Multi-Region thing is another peeve of mine too, and the mumbo jumbo reasons behind it make my head want to explode. I get old man grumpy when it comes to this sh&t.;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Hi Jim - I have been posting - but all on the DB side. I only play DB nowadays, but have been listening to Jazz FM here and this album caught my ear.

I do like some of the tunes, but Marcus' playing stands out - it's always interesting - quite funky and riffy, but also melodic - he provides the hooks!

I also think it's interesting to hear a small Jazz group lead by the bass - I think there could be more of this and it would help popularise Jazz - although it is a fine line/slippery slope I suppose :p

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Christian McBride & Avashai Cohen are the best at this, IMHO.

Cohen on the 'gadget bass' doing "Smash"-

14. Bruce Lindfield

I like both of them - particularly "Kind of Brown" recently - but I was just thinking that the kind of funky grooves Marcus plays are catchy and get stuck in your head - I haven't been able to get them out! :p

I also think this album has a lot more energy and excitement in the bass? He seems to have reached the peak of his powers as virtuoso player, great arranger and writer - you feel all the work that has gone in?

Maybe only going to be appreciated by fellow musicians?

15. Bruce Lindfield

Is this album out in the US now?

16. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    About the album..........witch this thread was supposed the be all about, I just love all the tracks, Marcus has a way of making every song groove.

17. I have the album since two weeks or so and I think it´s absolutely amazing. A lot of the tracks sound like instant classics right from the first time you hear them. And the whole recording and arrangement has a nice "intimate" feel to it.

This could be the record to bring MM nearer to people who have been repelled by supportive synth basses, drum programming and overall sleek production style of some of the earlier releases.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, it's a great album.

19. kerrycares

kerrycares Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Got my copy Tuesday from Best Buy for $7.99.
    Great CD, great price ,great easily accessible marketing.
    My favorite track is #9.

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    It's been in heavy rotation for the last couple days, I'm a happy man!