1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller - "Renaissance"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gre107, Aug 8, 2012.

1. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Alright, downloaded Marcus' new album Renaissance Tues night.

Wow! Marcus is just completely Kicking It Big Time on this album!

It's definitely some new music with "tips of the hat" references to some of the older music as well.

The album has been running on a continuous loop on my Ipod ever since I got it.

I just can't get over how much more he has improved in his playing / composition in such a short time since his last album. I didn't think it was possible but he is still moving forward after all these years!

And the people he has playing on this album are just monsters too!

So, anyone else listening to this album? Thoughts, opinions?

2. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Got it and it's great,as good as Marcus has been and as long as he's been at the top of his game it's inspiring to hear someone still growing

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 I wish Miles Davis could have heard Renaissance.

4. Jecodia

Jecodia

Jan 3, 2012
    A friend of mine shares your feelings about the new album....i have not, as if yet purchased it. But since he is hands down my favorite bassist of all time, i'm sure i won't be disappointed...

5. dafunky1

dafunky1 Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2008
    San Jose, California

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's been in rotation since I received it a few days back, I'm really loving it! So far it sounds like it might at the top of my Marcus pile for awhile to come.:bassist:

7. suchow

suchow

Mar 18, 2002
    New York, NY
  8. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Got mine tuesday as well, LOVE IT!

9. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    Here is a great video i found where Marcus talks about his latest album and the artist involved in it.

10. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I have had the CD for 4 or 5 weeks now. A very nice variety of compositions which shows his versatility. Marcus is still a leader on the bass frontier.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Marcus Miller has fulfilled the original premise of fusion. He creates intelligent music with a pop foundation that operates well within a jazz framework. I never feel that Miller dumbs down his music for commercial appeal. I think that because his roots are in pop, and he truly respects the art of pop music.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was listening to Renaissance while walking around my local high school track, and I was savor in the music. Marcus Miller is an inspiration, not only musically, but as a man of my generation. He is a reminder that just because I have reached a certain age, there is no reason to stop growing and developing professionally as well as musically. Marcus Miller is an inspiration for me to write some more on my book tonight!

13. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Loving this album right now, some of the melody's and grooves are really nice, its still nothing on 'M2' IMO, but its growing on me more with each listen!

14. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    That verse bass melody in Detroit! daaaamn! sticks with me all day, soo beautiful.

15. msflsim

msflsim

May 17, 2007
    London
    Im a huge fan of MM, and this latest album is indeed a masterpiece.

Having said that, the production left a bit to be desired for example in Revelation, there seems to be a lot distortion when everything kicks in.

What do you guys think about the production/mixing/mastering?

Anyone noticing anything funny?

16. mijust

mijust

Oct 31, 2006
    Really enjoyed this video.

17. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    I actually thought the production was great! I was just commenting yesterday how much fuller the sound was on this album in comparison to some of the others in the past.

18. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I kinda know what you mean.. but then again he is using a bit of overdrive on his bass here and there..

19. msflsim

msflsim

May 17, 2007
    London
    Yeah the overdrive is there but its somehow too bass heavy. I think thats what it is.

Really like the album and the writing, some evolving from Marcus, gorgeous.

Have a listen to Revelation and at 2:16 listen to the drop into the middle 8. Does it sound like its overloading just before the drop?