Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Sadowsky - Just Back From A Slight Makeover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jul 26, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Damn she looks purdy now. The first two pics are of the bass when I bought it. The last pics are of how she looks now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Upgrade Work:

All work was done by Eric Chaz of Eric's Guitar Shop in Van Nuys California. No one but Roger and Eric touch my basses.

What I did to the bass:

1.) Swapped out the Bartolini pickups with Sadowsky Humcancelling J pickups.

2.) Added the Vintage Tone Control upgrade

3.) It had the old preamp bypass switch. Since the VTC has a push/pull for the bypass we wired the switch to be a kill switch (On/Off)

4.) Finally, I had Eric cut a custom White Pearloid half/three quarter guard to my specs. It extends behind the neck pickup.

I think she looks sexy as hell. I am very happy with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those are nice mods. They keep the character of that bass while making it better looking.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    +1

The blue is nice but the pearloid tames it down some. In a good way, I think the blue was a bit over-the-top without the pickguard. The pickguard looks very good Mike!

The Sadowsky P/ups with VTC are definately upgrades.

It looks even more unique now, and in my opinion much better. Way to go Mike!

4. looks really nice. i bet it plays like a dream.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Thanks man! Plays great, sounds better and looks so sweet. The ebony neck is SO DAMN FAST!

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    White pearl pickguard adds a lot, speaking from experience. It came out pretty cool Mike.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Tasty!

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I dig the pickguard and the mods. The blue is pretty too.

That's all

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mike, that really is a remarkable transformation for what is really fairly simple (from an esthetic viewpoint). But the real question is, how does it sound with those mods?

Actually, the real question is are you going to be looking to get rid of your P/J 5, but we'll let that slide for a little while longer... :D

10. Now THAT is HOT!!......I really dig the pickguard.......I never really liked a half guard ESPECIALLY a clear guard but that Pearloid looks great....everything comes together very well........I know it sounds good too.....Congratulations, I think I would hold on to that one....Marcus may even want it back someday now!!

Peace,

T

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Thanks man. I really love the pearloid. Really adds some 'pop' to the bass. I can't express how much I dig the ebony fingerboard. It is so fast and smooth. I play much cleaner on this bass. Also, the ebony has a nice balance of warmth and top end. May have to stick with this wood combination in the future.

Marcus isn't getting this back!

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    We'll see.

13. Ebony is a great neck wood because of the reasons you stated....I had a Pedulla MVP with Ebony that was like playing buttered lightning!! I still miss it!!! I had considered getting ebony on the Sadowsky Roger is building me now but I went with Birdseye Maple....I prefer that percussive attack......

Peace,

T

14. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Looks great with the pearloid; I thought it looked a bit plain with the clear.

15. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    if only it was in transparent red, it would look like a killer

16. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Oh that is one of my favourite colours.

17. Very nice... simple upgrade that added a lot to the look (and I assume the sound also). I like the 'on/off' switch... one of the (few) things I really miss about my old Fodera. I don't know why more preamps/bass manufacturers don't offer that feature... it's just very nice on breaks, etc., especially when you have a volume/volume circuit.

18. Wow! VERY NICE! I liked the bass when you first got it, but it's much better now - very elegant. The pearloid cover and change in design were great choices. I bet it sounds great. Have you played out with it yet?

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice Mike, enjoy. What happend with the Other Sadowsky prospect?.

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Which one? You mean one I was looking at last week? Fell through. Had some problems with it and the guy want almost new $$$ for it. I could have ordered a new one for $300 more.

Thanks. Just got it back last night so haven't gigged it yet.