Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Sig Owners - Mods to the bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric1977, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    I am sure that some of the Marcus Miller sig owners on here have made some changes to the bass . . .

But I am more concerned with the types of pickups you guys have used to modify the bass . . .

Go on tell me why?

:)
    Eric

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Well first off, what do you think is wrong with your bass?
    Do you own a Marcus?
    If not, they're great basses, although the preamp is a little lacking. I almost bought one a couple years ago, but I'm not a fan of active basses and I realised that the preamp on that baby wasn't so hot. The rest of the bass is most certainly "useable". If you buy one, you might want to consider switching out the preamp, but don't make any other mods unless you really have a reason to do so. Modding a bass for the sole reason of saying you did so is dumb (IMO) and so 2005. I'm no anti-modder (I just put hipshot ultralites in my Warwick last night), but only do it if needed. It'll save you money.
    -Alex

3. +1

The Marcus has a bit of a weak pre, but try it before you set your heart on changing it. You may dig it!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I own one now, and have not made any modifications as of yet.

One thing I know I will be changing, however, are the tuners. I'm not a fan of the set that is currently on my bass - very hard to turn, and the "vintage reverse" style is _very_ counterintuitive to me.

5. Hola,
    I own one. This is the ONLY mod, I'd swap out the Pre, install either Aggie OBP-1 or a Sadowsky, or get a outboard pre pedal of the same (Aggie or Sadowsky).

Bobbo 77'

6. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Added a Hipshot drop-tuner, that's about it. I run it in passive mode with my EQ coming from my Bass Driver.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, mine doesn't have the original neck. I bought it this way and love the neck that's on it. I'd definately buy another and keep the original neck.

First thing to go is the tuners, I got mine a Hipshot set with Detuner, and of course Straplocks.

No other mods made, electronically or otherwise. I particularly enjoy the two band Fender preamp.

8. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    Cheers!
    Yep, I own one. Have to say I mainly use it with the preamp or active circuit turned off . . .so i guess i dont need to change the preamp then?

9. Don't know if you talk about the 4 or 5 string.
    I own the 5 string. Yes, the preamp is kinda weak and doesn't bring the sweet spot out of that bass.
    First of all, it is boost only (+10dB) and covers 40Hz and 6.5kHz... the 40Hz is alright but the 6.5kHz is way too high.
    I am using the Sadowsky pedal and with its 4kHz it is way better for slap tone
    The slap tone is alright but I truely believe that where it shines is when you play finger between the neck and bridge pickup... just right by the metal pickup cover.
    BUT (and I am very excited about this :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: ) I found the sweet spot... it's 450Hz!!!

First turn off active mode.
    Then both pickup full then back off the neck pickup till the difference in tone is clearly heard (noise should be present as well but once you play you don't hear it). It should bring a bit more mids and highs... I'd say back it of 10 to 15% (I think MM says 2% :rolleyes:)
    Then on your amp, boost 40Hz +3dB or +6dB
    AND then, then... at 450Hz add +10dB...
    Maaaan that's a great sound right there...

Anyway... this is cool...
    I am thinking of getting the Aguilar OBP-3SK/PP to get that mid boost on board...
    Am still wondering if it is worth the hassle of getting it modded now I actually have the sound I like...

Hope this helps!

PS: and I am using MM's DR strings... they probably add to that sound as well

10. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I put hipshot tuners and bridge on mine. I'm not a BadAss fan. I also put in Bartolini pickups and pre. It's a fatter more vintage tone. Works for me.