marcus miller sig without pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcphockey16, Jul 8, 2008.

1. has anyone taken both pickguards off their marcus miller signatures? or just one of them...i'd like to see that

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have, but it just looks strange with the very large control plate. I like the feel, but my Oly White has also yellowed a LOT.

3. can you somehow get the control plate off?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Sure. It has screws. I've taken one off to replace pickups.

5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Perhaps, the routings on the 4 and the 5 are different.

The 5 seems to have battery access from the back. The top route isn't all that big, and the standard MM guard is overkill. On my 5, I am planning to fab up a smaller chrome plate to cover the route, and get a more standard J guard.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Could be... I've only worked on a four.

7. def post up some pics if you do that

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    stands to reason... the MM looks strange to begin with. Rockin' good player's but strange lookin' for sure.

9. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The routing is huge under the control plate. It's understandable because the Fender Pre is enormous, and there's a big hole to put the battery in, so the control plate is as big as it is for a reason. I tried getting a chrome one made for it to spice it up a little, but I had a... less than amicable... experience with the place doing it, and they sent me one with the screw holes drilled in the wrong places.

10. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002
    You would think a more curvy, and smaller pickguard could be designed and fitted. Anyone try or know of one?

11. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    As long as they keep sticking the pre and the battery compartment in the same place, the guard has to be that big. I don't have pics of the inside of mine, but looking at the guard, imagine a regular J control plate over the top of it. The big section that's been added is right where the pre is. The pre is at least 3 times the size of the aguilar pre, and a lot of people don't seem to realize on the end is actually a THIRD plate that is over the battery.

I'm speaking of course of the Marcus Miller IV, it's the only one I've messed with.

12. MisterV619

MisterV619

May 15, 2006
    It's possible the place you ordred from used the wrong template since the 4 and 5 might not be drilled exactly the same. I just placed an order for a new pickguard on a rec from another TB member. The place he recommended definitely wanted to know whether mine was a 4 or a 5 before proceeding. I let you know how it turns out and post pics. To the user that had clear and mirror pickguards, that's also what I ordered. I was going to go with a pearloid and mirror combination, but they didn't come in the same thickness, so I got the clear until I find a place that has pearloid in the same thickness as the acrylic mirror.

13. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    That's the kicker. I actually sent them the original plate because they said they didn't have a template. My MM was out of commission for a month and a half while they screwed around with my original control plate.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021