Marcus Miller Signature Bass 5 string anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cgworkman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Anyone own one of these yet? Got pics? How about a short review?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I spent about an hour with one, and I wasn't impressed. It left a little to be desired. IMO, the MIJ 4 kills the MIA 5. This guy played one for this reggae band on the Warped Tour. He sounded okay, but his bottomend was a little light in the loafers.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

its a beauty isnt it? i dont have one but i WANT one!!
    edit: removed picture since its down there.
    sorry for the hugeness of the picture but it has more detail when its bigger.
  4. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Anyone have any photos they've taken themselves?
  5. But it's the same specs except one string more!
    What's the difference?
    I agree with you, 4 strings kill! I own it!

6. am I the only one that doesn't like those block inlays? they look like a jolly ranchers stuck to the board. doesn't the 4 have black blocks?
  7. It's a way better bass than the Japanese MM. Even the B-string is ok compared to the non-signature Fender 5-strings. The only things I don't like is the "aged" lacquer on the neck and the ugly big pickguard. Otherwise a fine Fender.

8. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    No it's got different specs, only thing I remember is the bridge is different, but that's obvious from the appearance.
  9. Jazzin'

the 4 is japaneese, the 5 is american and alot more expensive.(like 1000$ more expensive)
  10. The 4 have white blocks!
    As the neck binding, think it's classy!
  11. I know, but the 4 is american parts assembly in Japan, I learn this not many times ago!
    It's a big price difference
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    And NOT a justified one, IMHO. While the instrument IS very nice, that extra string and inferior bridge just doesn't justify it for me.

The bassist for Britney Spears' band funks it out hard on that thing. Check out the "Is My Love of Britney Spears Bad" thread in Misc for my comments on it. Then again, if you're him, an extra grand for a sweet bass isn't going to break up the band.
  13. Jazzin'

14. ah ok, they are white inlays on the 4. Still, I like them better than the yellowish ones on the five. I do dig the binding though. I've played the 4 before and it was decent, but the Geddy Lee a couple feet away from it blew it out of the water.
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its a very cool bass, that sounds pretty darn good. but the last marcus show i went to, he never touched it. :meh:
  16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What kind of amp was he using, and how did he have it EQ'd?
  18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    when i saw him in la he used it, but only with the bridge pickup solo'd so i couldnt tell if it had the "the" sound or not. i havent found one to play myself yet.
  19. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Well I played a couple of them and the bottom in both of them was "true Fender Jazz bottom if I ever heard one ! and mind you I AB'd both of them thru a SWR 500 M,Eden 800 travler and Ampeg B4 Pro using a Aguilar 4x10 cab.and this thing was gettinf the bottom that even my "boutique basses would "die to have
  20. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    The same thing happened when I went to see him last summer... :eyebrow: