Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller signature bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnusw, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Is anybody had experience with Fender Jazz Bass Marcus Miller signature?

2. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey

I was playing one earlier today.

I love the look, very cool IMO.

However, I find the pickup guard annoying to play around, and while it's acclaimed in some circles for it's slap sound, I find I can get a better one out of my Thumb, which of course is £300 more that the retail for the MM, but still, I expected better. Action was nice on the one I played......a cool bass to have....but I wouldnt want it as my numero uno.

Kind regards

LA

3. This is what i was affraid of ... the pickup guard ... and if i buy it it will be my one and only bass.

4. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    You can take it off super easily :)

Regards

LA

5. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    cant you just remove the pickup cover with a screwdriver? the 2 little holes wouldn't be a big deal to me, and if it was, judt get a new pickguard to cover it up.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Jak sie masz?

The MM is a really nice bass. It works well in a band and it's solidly built. Some players don't like the stock preamp that much, and replace it. You can also remove the pickup cover if you don't like it.

Na zdrowie!

7. If the pickup guard is only decoration...ofcoz that i can remove it ;). Dont like preamp? Why ? It's active and pasive as well...good idea dont you think?

8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Here's my old MM, I traded it a few weeks ago, reason, I'm getting the MM V next month, I love this bass;) I had the same problem with the pickup cover, I just took it off :ninja:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the naked picture.
    [​IMG]

9. thanks for help guys

and special greetings for 20db pad

Do zobaczenia ;)

See you later

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The cover on my MM stay's on. It does not get in my way at all. For finger style, play behind it. For thumpin and poppin, do it at the bottom of the neck.

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Interesting to note that there's now a Marcus Miller model available in the Sadowsky 'Tokyo' range:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did get to try one of the Fender MM models a few months ago. Nice sound, but the one I played weighed an absolute ton (the heaviest bass I have ever tried).

12. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've had the MM for about 2 months now. This is one fine bass. :)

The neck is one of the slimest I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Yes, the bass is on the heavy side but with a maple neck, preamp and the badass bridge you'd expect that. This thing sustains for days. Super low action and a great sound using both the preamp and the passive settings.

Although it looks cool, I too found the pickup cover to be a pain in the butt. I removed it.

13. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    The one I tried was extra light. I'm assuming there are different versions going around? I know for a fact that the Natural finish comes as Ash and is thus lighter? The sunburst, I presume, is heavier? Any difference in sound between these two versions? Thanks.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    theyre all ash afaik and therefore any weight differences will be random. the finishes arent going to have anything to do with it.

personally id hope a marcus miller sig would be butt heavy since his is and contributes to the sound. if youre looking for a super light one, its not going to have the same character and all you're getting is the cosmetics imo.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What Narud said. That kind of Ash contributes heavily (pun intended) to the sound. Here's my "Marcus Miller", a 1978 stock Jazz that nails that sound:

[​IMG]

16. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I now own the MM in Bass Guru's photos. It's a killer bass, guys. Yeah, it's a bit on the heavy side, but I'm guessing it's probably around 9-10 lbs.... which is the same range my other four basses fall into... no big deal. I'm not sure yet if it'll replace my G&L as #1 yet, but I guarantee you it'll see plenty of time onstage.

And yeah.. I play it w/ no ashtrays on it. As beautiful as this axe is.. no one's going to notice a missing pickup cover anyway.
    -Mike

17. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    From what I played I think there is difference in weight, particularly in Natural and Sunburst finishes. I tried both. The natural seemed unnaturally light, and the sunburst felt like normal Jazz would, not too heavy and not too light. But that's just my personal opinion. I was just confused reading some people say that they are extra heavy and then seeing other reviews about its lightness.