Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Signature owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bas_anton, Sep 13, 2001.

1. I´m about to buy a new bass and i´m looking for your thoughts about the MM Jazz bass.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Solidly built bass with good quality control. Cosmetics are an acquired taste, but I like them. I think that the neck pickup cover is awkward for slapping, but MM keeps it on, so go figure. There is no automatic jack switch though for the active preamp, so you have to remember to turn the preamp off if you're not plugged in, or get the electronics modded. One of Fenders better values. Buy it before they jack the price.

3. can you switch it from active to passive?

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
  5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Just so you know, it'd be easier just to call it Marcus Miller jazz bass... You'll get people thinking "Music Man" with the "MM" thing. :)

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, I don't think I've ever seen a Music Man Jazz bass...

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's true, O-man... but maybe someone could get confused;)

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've tried two Marcus Jazz basses, owned by friends, and I thought they were great. You can get them for about $770 at Musician's Friend.

it definitely has that Marcus tone, especially when you put new strings on it.

9. Make sure you PLAY one before you buy it. I bought mine on eBay without ever playing one before. It's a fine bass, just not what I wanted as far as sound. It's very bright, but I always thought kind of "plastic" sounding, maybe just too clean. There's not really a grrrowl to it. But if you listen to Marcus' new cd M2, the bass will sound just like that.

As for looks, Man I love that thing. The natural finish, maple fingerboard with block pearl inlays is awesome. But I play for sound and playability. Got me a Peavey Cirrus that I'll die holding!!!! It plays MUCH easier than the Fender, and the sound is to die for.

Mark

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I saw a modified Music Man Sabre bass that had 2 EMG Jazz p/u's & if it didn't have a deposit on it, I woild of bought it!!!!

As for the Marcus Miller bass, IMO I didn't like the sound of it & that nasty control plate/battery cover looks like it was a put toghther of left over parts!!!!!

11. If you want Marcus' sound, look elsewhere. Marcus has a Bartolini preamp, installed by Roger Sadowsky. Plus his bass is a late 70's AMERICAN made Fender. There's a huge difference between Fenders then and now.

I sometimes wonder if Fender isn't being deceptive by offering a Marcus Miller signature, but denying consumers one of the big reasons we would buy it...the SOUND!

Look at Music Mans too. That humbucker produces a huge sound - great for slap!

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    :confused:

Well, a Bartolini preamp isn't all that hard to get or have installed. Doesn't need to be Roger Sadowsky who gets it done, either. Huge difference? What would this huge difference be, which affects the sound so much you will not have a chance in the world to make the MMJB sound like Miller himself at all? Three-bolt neck vs. four-bolt? Yeah, it's like night and day...?

I wouldn't claim that the MMJB has the exact sound of Marcus Miller, but it resembles it a lot, no? Marcus's bass is unique, as is the man who holds it. If you're after Miller's sound, you will never get a direct hit, but you can come pretty close. What bass could be better for the task than a swamp-ash-bodied jazz bass with Fender pickups and maple fretboard? In that price range?

Yeah, okay, they sound a lot more like Marcus Miller... :D :confused:

13. Oysterman,

I disagree with what you say about the Fender Marcus Millers. I have heard them and it does not have that sound. Yeah, you can drop in a bartolini preamp into a stock Fender, but something about the wood, the routing, and of course the player makes a unique voice that, IN MY OPINION, Fender has not captured.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I have a stock 78 Ash/Maple Jazz that sounds like Marcus' bass... even without a preamp. I've played a bunch of the Signatures and when A/B'd with mine... uh uh.

OTOH They're not bad and they do look like his bass.

Putting a Bart pre in a stock Jazz is pretty tough.

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    OK, I give up. What exactly makes them so different? It's the same woods and (supposedly) the same pickups and electronics. How come they sound so different then? What am I missing here?

16. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    What about Marcus' bass rig? Doesn't he use SWRs? Wouldn't that have an impact on his tone too?

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Where does it say he is looking for the MMJB tone? :rolleyes: He wants to know if it's a good bass or not!!!!!

P.S. The grade of Ash that is used in the MMJB & a '75 USA re-issue (for example) is totally different. The grade of wood will have an effect on sound.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Obliviously, someone did.:p

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    :rolleyes:
    There's some things companies can't capture.
    Technique's one of them, rhythm's another.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I can't say for sure but my guess would be that one bass has 20+ year old wood and pickups...

and the other doesn't;)