Marcus Miller still uses Hi-beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Anyone else finds this kind of funny? Why doesn't he use Fat-Beams except on his Fodera? Don't know if I even care, but it is funny that an artist doesn't use his signature gear :meh:
  2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Where his signature strings available in August 2003 when this article was published?
  3. Yes - they've been available since 2002 I think, and anyway his tech says his using them on the Fordera.
  4. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Wow, thats really funny. Hey, maybe he thinks theyre too muddy sounding.
  5. Yeah, that was my thought too, and maybe because Hi-Beams are so easy to play. They are really unique in that area.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    This must be some use of the word "funny" that I wasn't previously aware of. :eyebrow:

So, he uses a different type of string on different basses? What's the big deal? I use different types of strings on my basses, too....

I guess I don't see the point...Maybe he likes the way his Jazz Basses sound live with the HI-Beams? Who knows what he uses in the studio.
  7. "Funny" like in "something smells funny".

The deal is that he develops a string together with DR, that's supposed to be even better than Hi-Beams, and then don't use it. He and DR surely must have meant the Fat-Beams should go on his Fender Jazz he uses 90% of the time, and not a 5-string he barely uses. Dunno... but it just made me think, nothing else. About his studiowork I know for a fact (read a post by the man himself on his board) that half of M2 is done with Hi-Beams (incl. Power which is the "anthem" for Fat-Beams on DR's site!), but that was because FB's wasn't fully developed at that time.

Well, it shouldn't change peoples opion of FB's anyway. MM can play what he wants to, and so can we. I just thought it was a little peculiar.
  8. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well i'm glad he made them, I like the way fat beams sound. Using them or not, it doesn't mean he can't add good input to make a nice set of strings.
  9. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    ...What he said, except with some more [​IMG]
    Its his sig line. I figured it was his favorite. Im going to try these hi-beams one of these days.
  10. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    For what it’s worth, the article also says: “In addition to his well-known ’77 Fender Jazz modified with a prototype Sadowsky preamp”.

Unless Marcus doesn’t know or is intentionally misleading people, he has repeatedly said that he has a Bartolini TCT preamp in his '77 which was INSTALLED by Sadowsky. Therefore, this guys “facts” or his recollection of them or his notes from the interview may not be accurate.