Marcus miller style playing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 18, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I listened to some of his stuff when i started playing bass(before i knew about slap). and it was amazing. now today, i listened to "power" again and tried to work some of it out. i got the first couple of riffs(basic groove, none of the fancy stuff). I just cant understand how he can pull of those "runs" so it the strength in his fingers + lots of practise? or is there some way to do it which i dont know about.

Im not trying to slap it by the way, just get the notes first (is this a good aproach?)
  2. Double thumping, kinda like picking on a guitar, except you use your thumb.
  3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

ahh...thats it....i was wondering how he could play it so fast slapped and i couldent to it at 3/4 of that speed normally...

now...all i have to do it practise double thumping....i didnt actually know Marcus did double thump, i thought it was just that wooten guy
  4. This may be answered around here somewhere, but I sure am having a hard time finding it - But...

I see a lot of discussion about Victor W. and Marcus M. and their double-thump or double-thumb technique - but I am interested in the double-pluck. I get it in theory and I have a pretty good 'standard' thump/pluck technique. I get the double-thumb/thump (can't do it very well, but get it) but when I try to execute the double-pluck my hand acts like it has never played a bass before.

Can someone offer some insight into breaking through the double-pluck? Cuz I would love to be a kickin' double-plucker!

Here is where I am at:
    My current thump/pluck technique, I tend to favor plucking with my middle finger - so when I attempt the double-p - I do my thump, and on the up-stroke get the first pluck with the middle finger, second with the index. It is nowhere near fluid like my regular technique and it feels like it will never get there...

Ok... I guess this is more of a rant - but if anyone can rant back at me and help me see this technique through new eyes, I would sure appreciate it!

5. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    when you say double-pluck are you talking about the "victor" thumb-upstroke technique?
  6. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Can some one upload this to rapidshare or somewhere ?

by the way everybody thinks that wooten found this double thump techinque but this isnt true, right?
  7. Nah, he's talking about double popping, as in slap and pop. It's basically the same thought behind double thumping, but with plucking!
    I'm really interested in learning this too. I can kinda get it when going slow and popping on the highest string, but I just can't grasp it on the others. Is there a lesson describing it somewhere? I've seen Vics video on google vids, and it helped me a lot.
    Some advise to tz: I may be wrong here (seeing as how I'm no good at it), but try re-learning to pop with your index. You can build up a lot of extra speed like this. Then, with the double pop, you pop once with the index, then in the same motion again with the middle. I've found it helps to go with a lighter touch than regular funk slap and pop (i.e. don't try and get that hard 'pop' sound on the frets at first).

8. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    So you're talking about a thumb slap followed by an index pop? Same string, 5ths, octaves, or what? Or do you mean the technique Marcus uses when he plays pentatonic licks where he uses the thumb and index finger like a guitarist would use up and down-strokes of the pick?
  9. my double popping is pretty amatuer also. There is parts in "A Show of Hands" and "Classical Thump" that i have been using to get better at it. Popping twice on the same string is far more difficult to me than popping two seperate ones.

btw, doesn't Ray Riendeau do alot of double popping?
  10. Thanks - yeah, I figured as much - it is just so awkward right now I was hoping there would be an easier way out... That's me... always looking for the easy way. :)

Boy, I hear ya on that! Seems I need to just slow it down and do the work.

thanks all!
  11. SoulStabber

Mar 13, 2006
    Sheehan double pops most of the time as well..
  12. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm still unclear what you're referring to. I'll ask again - Are you referring to alternate "picking" with the thumb and index with popping on both?

If so, I've found that the "trick" is to keep the index finger rigid instead of flexible like you would normally have it. This way, the index finger is in the exact same position each time.

If your index finger is moving, then you have 2 moving targets. It's the same problem as folks trying to do alternate picking while they are changing angles of the for their upstroke and downstroke.
  13. I stated originally this, "I see a lot of discussion about Victor W. and Marcus M. and their double-thump or double-thumb technique - but I am interested in the double-pluck."

So as you can see, I get the thumb part... I want info on the pluck.
  14. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I consider the index snap a "pluck".
  15. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Double pluck or double pop is popping with the index followed by the middle finger. Nothing to do with the thumb at all. Victor uses it alot after double thumping during really fast runs.

EX. Thumb down, thumb up, index pop, middle pop
  16. Thanks again - I am more clear now. I am assuming that my right hand needs to adopt a more rigid stature to correctly execute this technique.

The way I do traditional slap/pop is with a relaxed wrist and hand. In order to do this more vigerous version, it seems the right hand would need to be turned into a 'tool' that has a rigid structure to it. Especially using the double thumb with the double pluck (fingers) Am I off base here?
  17. Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    There's an instructional video by Bill Dickens that I used to have that covered a lot of those super-fast slap techniques. It might be worth tracking down, I remember he went through how to do them fairly slowly then showed exactly how fast you can play once you've learned them.

Edit: Here it is on Amazon
  18. Cool, and thanks! I know this topic gets beaten to death (no pun intented) but I guess we all decide we wanna learn this stuff at different times. A long time ago I learned how to get 'multiple thumps and pops' via OHT and OHP where the left had would hammer a note prior the the right hand popping or thumping it - now that technique is getting in the way of this one - I go to 'autopilot mode' and get all confused.

I just ordered the DVD - my wife is going to KILL ME - I ordered 2 'Real Books' yesterday... ---Thanks again y'all! Not, back to the woodshed... :bassist:
  19. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH

You sure Victor does the double thumb slap followed by index and middle? When I've seen him do that it's usually thumb down, thumb-up, index, middle...

However, I have little doubt that he can do whatever the !@#$ he wants...