Marcus miller super brights vs. regular

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by melloncollie, Jun 4, 2017.

1. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    So this may be kind of a dumb question but is there any difference sound wise between the Marcus miller strings and the regular super brights?

2. Yup! Way more booty and zing in these strings from the regular Dunlop Super Brights. More aggressive string than the regular SBs. From what I read, they started with the Super Brights as a base and then tweaked to Marcus Miller's requests. I'd say the feeling is a bit rougher than the regular Super Brights. My favourite string for the Rick. IMHO, definitely worth the extra cost.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Good explaination there! Marcus's are also a little stiffer feeling.

4. HarveySpaceBass

HarveySpaceBass

Sep 24, 2007
    I literally just put a set of the Marcus Millers on my Geddy Lee Jazz this past Friday after using the regular Dunlop SS SB for about a year. They don't seem noticeably rougher as others have mentioned...IMO. But they are definitely more aggressive and seem to have more focused mids. They don't sound scooped like the regular SS SB. I made no adjustments after putting these on. My action with the regular was about 2mm @ 17th fret and about 2.1/2.2 with the Millers so yes, a little more tension. But not much. I am making the switch to the Millers permanently.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    BrentSimons, eriky4003 and mmbongo like this.
  5. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Sounds like my kind of strings! I just ordered a couple of sets of the regular nickel strings but I might return those and get the Marcus miller ones. Or just buy some of the Marcus miller ones and try both sets. But based on the descripsfions here I think I'd like the millers better. And I already liked the regular nickels a lot.