Marcus Miller Talks About Jaco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I heard some of these stories before. I never met Marcus Miller but he seems like a truly decent person in addition to being one of the world’s greatest musicians.

2. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Marcus always comes across to me as being a down-to-earth and unassuming guy.

JoshS, DJ Bebop, Joshua and 3 others like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He is down to earth, but you have to know you are a cut above when Joe Zawinul wants you to replace Jaco at 18. That said, Jaco was only 25 when he got the gig and Victor Bailey was maybe 22 or 23.

DJ Bebop, NG51, The Owl and 2 others like this.
  4. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, and then Miles comes calling not too long after. :woot:

lomo, DJ Bebop, ToneMonkey and 7 others like this.
  5. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Excellent

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Your post got me thinking. If Marcus’ first big Jazz gig had been Weather Report, he might have ended up with the late Victor Bailey’s career trajectory which was very respectable, but probably not befitting his talent. Breaking through with Miles let Marcus totally be his own man.

7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I met Marcus a few times when he was young, very nice and humble cat. He had great success with Luther Vandross the same year he hit with Miles, either way he was on his way. The second time I met him was out here after I left the east coast and I asked him who was tearing it up at the time in NYC, he told me Tom Barney who soon followed him into Miles's band.

bassclef04, DJ Bebop, The Owl and 2 others like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Had a few online interactions with Marcus, and he totally comes across as a good guy who loves people and wants to help and encourage musicians.

JoshS, JackNasty, DJ Bebop and 8 others like this.
  9. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Midwest USA
    Marcus plays a mean fretless too.

NigelD, jerry, JoshS and 6 others like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You make a great point. One of Marcus Miller’s super power’s is that although he is totally comfortable with Jazz, it is obvious that Funk and R&B/Pop are his wheelhouse. He was maybe even hotter as a Pop session man than he was as a Jazz/Fusion player. Victor Bailey was very capable as a R&B/Pop bassist, but it always seemed to me Jazz/Fusion was his true passion.

Swamp_Ronin, lomo, The Owl and 2 others like this.
  11. Agreed. I would love to sit down and have a conversation with Marcus, even if it were just a one sided conversation with him talking the whole time. I find him extremely fascinating every time he tells a story or has an opinion on any given subject. He's one of my all-time favorite musicians not only as a solo artist but even before that working with Miles Davis, David Sanborn and Luther Vandross.

JoshS, ToneMonkey, Joshua and 2 others like this.
  12. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I recently heard the hotel story told by Marcus, except that Jaco sounded a little more "abrasive." Regardless, it changed the way I look at Jaco... but I still love the guy's playing.

Someone needs to do a documentary on Marcus one of these days... incredible player, well liked across the planet and connected to so many interesting people... I would watch it. Same can be said about Will Lee.

13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    And sax... and bass clarinet... :D

JackNasty, The Owl and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    In his autobiography, Miles had great things to say about Marcus. I'm paraphrasing, but Miles said Marcus was loose and always keeping everyone laughing, which was handy.

JoshS, JackNasty, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is especially handy with a guy as famously cranky as Miles Davis.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I tend to give Jaco a pass because he struggled with mental illness.

17. PaulReside

PaulReside

Mar 14, 2016
    Scottsdale Az

18. PaulReside

PaulReside

Mar 14, 2016
    Scottsdale Az
    Check Amazon there is a good one on there

jerry and Joshua like this.
  19. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That makes me think of this clip from Night Music (introducing, appropriately enough given the topic of the OP, “Mr. Pastorius”):

At the 6:25 mark

DJ Bebop and Low8 like this.
  20. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, it’s worth watching. You even get to see the rare sight of Marcus playing some upright).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021