Marcus Miller Talks About Jaco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Jaco didn’t need to talk about Marcus Miller...

2. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    No doubt, funk/R&B is Marcus’ signature style. But, one of my all-time favorite albums is Donald Fagan’s The Nightfly, and a young Marcus (album was released in 1982) plays on three of the cuts, “Maxine,” “The Nightfly” and “The Goodby Look” (“The Nightfly” is my personal fave). Not a slap or a pop in any of them.
    Marcus is, and always has been, a killer studio musician with the chops to play whatever fits the song.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    bassclef04, Dr. Cheese, JoshS and 3 others like this.
  3. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    Was thinking the same thing. Will’s Instagram is full of references from the glory days of studio musicians.
    Both are in a league of their own : pop, r&b, funk, jazz and always excellent

4. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Love this video! Thanks for posting. Marcus' interview with Miles has some funny moments!

5. A side note on this album.
    I used to play this CD every time I'd drive the family to the coast. After a while, they asked me to stop playing it :(

Years later, we had a family reunion which entailed a trip to the beach. So I let anyone play their playlist. A lot of fidgeting around and skipping songs and half played songs. Finally a request came from the peanut gallery, "dad what's that CD you used to play?"
    :)
    I reached over, hit my CD and on came...

What a beautiful world this will be, what a glorious time to be free...
    ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Not since T. Monk has the pork pie hat been so appropriately seated :)

Dr. Cheese and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Thank you for sharing that! That was very cool

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    I have to wonder if the bass chair in that band is like Greatful Dead keyboard players: they always end up dead. Good thing he didn't take it.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. KOOL BREEZE

KOOL BREEZE

Dec 12, 2013
    Seattle
    What about Bruce? He gets no love. I guess that's just the way it is

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. Swamp_Ronin

Swamp_Ronin

Jan 15, 2021
    Portland, OR
    Love this thread. Could spend all day talking about Marcus, how he seems to be a great guy, and what his music has meant to me. Seems like every week, there is another goofy thread bashing slap because people are tired of hearing it at guitar center. But have you HEARD Marcus bro? The man is MUSICAL.
    Also, Nightly is such a special perfect album. I wish I could buy all the night fly fans a beer.

bassclef04, Dr. Cheese, lomo and 2 others like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I always post this, but anyways, an 19 year old Marcus:

12. shufflebass123

shufflebass123 Inactive

Feb 19, 2019
    I agree. No style should be bashed. As we all know, people love to bash pick players. I don't play with a pick, but I lament that I haven't had time to go down that road. Ridiculous that people have this religious fervor against things that they don't like. An instrument is a blank canvas waiting for you to bring whatever you want to it.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This was why Zawinul was ready to give him the gig.

jerry likes this.
  14. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Yeah, same time frame. One of the first shows I saw with Marcus was with Urszula and her husband Michael Urbaniak. When Marcus first hit the NYC scene, word of mouth spread quickly and like Jaco scared us mere mortals senseless.;):D

Joshua, Passinwind and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    Of the big name bass monsters Marcus is easily my favourite. I could listen to him tell stories and talk all day!

What blows my mind about Marcus is that by the time he's establishing his solo career he could have easily just taken a gold watch and retired from music. His career has been so vast that I find so many fans of Marcus' actually have no idea of his session career or side man stuff. Who gets to do that at still a fairly young age?

I'm sure I've said this on a few threads about Marcus but I seen him on his Afrodeezia tour. Not being a particular fan of his solo stuff I still went along because you don't often see these people in the flesh doing their thing, at least not in this part of the world. But I am a huge fan of all the work he did with Luther, Miles, Roberta, Aretha, Fagan and all the countless sessions he crops on up. The gig blew my mind. He did very little slap and just nailed the bass to the floor all night with such power and command that you could see why he was getting those studio calls round the clock. It was just a masterclass in being a bass player and what that actually means.

Spoke to a bass tutor at a university a few weeks after the gig and he was telling me all the students said the gig was rubbish because he wasn't doing his Marcus thing... Crazy.

Joshua and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was nice. Marcus has charisma for sure. Off topic, Miles Davis had a tone for the ages! He could truly say so much with such a little on his trumpet.

bass12 likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The response of the students is proof that a lot of people playing bass don’t know how to play bass. Just listening to the Night Music clip featuring Miles Davis, Marcus has not problem playing sparsely or simply. The thing is he sounds great no matter what he is doing.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have benefitted greatly from the art of ignoring BS.

19. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The thing that, for me, underlines all of Marcus’ work is a sense of “solidity” - both in his playing and in his tone. No matter what he does, it always feels grounded and dependably... solid.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is the same thing that can be said about Nathan East, Lee Sklar, Tony Levin, Chuck Rainey, Pino Pallidino, Anthony Jackson, etc. and that is why these folks work so much. The thing about Marcus Miller is that he is a great composer and producer too.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021