Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PastoriusRules, Jun 22, 2002.

1. PastoriusRules

PastoriusRules

Jun 22, 2002
    Hello, I have been trying to play a song by Marcus Miller for a while and I cant figure out the technique he is using to play it. The song im talking about is Mr Pastorius. It's track nr. 6 on the 'the sun dont lie' album. There is this funky bit in it (time: 33s) and he does it again at time 47s. I really cant figure out how he does this bit. He must somehow (I think) tap with his right hand on the strings as well, but I dont know how. Could someone help me out here?

2. I've seen him perform it. He does a lot of tapping. He taps some low notes on the E string with his right thumb.

I used to have a transcription of it before in a Japanese Marcus Miller book. Once upon a time, I actually learned how to play the entire thing. It's actually not very difficult to play if you have the notation and explanation. One thing I remember is that the E string is actually dropped to a low D. Unfortunately I don't have the transcriptions and I don't even have the album on me so I can't be of much more help. But basically, most of the chordal sounding stuff and sliding double stops are tapped. The fast runs are basically played with the fingers, except Marcus really snaps the strings quite hard when he plays. And remember that he taps the low E string (D string since it's dropped) with his right hand (thumb). Good luck and hope this helps a little.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I finally found my copy of this cd...I usually have things assorted by genre, alphabetical, chronological, blah. It wasn't where it was supposed to be-
    Anyway-

I checked out that "funky bit"

It reminded me of a Vic Wooten thing(like in "Sinister Minister").

BASICALLY-
    1)Thumb the OPEN "A"
    2)Hammer on the "D" note("A"-string/5th fret)w/ 1st finger

3)Hammer on the "A" note("D"-string/7th fret) w/ your ring finger
    4)Thumb the "A"("D"-string/7th fret)

5)Hammer on the "D" note("G"-string/7th fret) w/ your pinky finger
    6)Thumb the "D" note("G"-string/7th fret)

7)IMMEDIATELY add a POP(w/ an upwards thrust)...on the "G"-string(could be the "D" or an OPEN "G").

The thumb motion is more of a downwards action(rather than an 'into the body' motion).

When done 'jack rabbit fast, it sounds somewhat like the part you've described...
    ...& no, I can't do it that well.

4. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    There is alot of tapping in it.

Go to bassically.net.
    The guy that runs the site has real video of himself performing it. Not Marcus. He does a really good job. Although I usually dont like tapping much its pretty neat.
    He also does Michael Manrings version of Purple Haze. That almost makes me to learn to tap like that. But not really :D Michael actually compliments him on his perfomance very highly.