Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jul 8, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, after two string changes on my Marcus Miller bass, I've decided it's time for these damned tuners to go.

First of all, the whole vintage "reverse" aspect of them is a slight annoyance. A bigger annoyance is the fact that it takes a _lot_ of muscle to turn the stupid things. Like, a lot. My wrist is sore after changing the strings. (And it was sore to begin with! :eek: )

These are bigger than regular standard Fender tuners, so I know that most of the standard replacements won't drop in. I sent an e-mail to the folks at Bass Parts Resource to find out what will go in without drilling extra holes, but I figured I would see if anyone else had swapped theirs out, and, if so, what they used.

I love everything about this bass - even the much maligned preamp - but I can't stand these tuners.

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    If you can deal with the reverse aspect of the tuners, I'd rec. a string winder for changes.

I use one, and it saves my wrist.

I use the Planet Waves Deluxe Basswinder that has winder, string cutter and stretcher combined into one item.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yeah I hear ya on the stiff tuners, mine are that way also. My truss rod is also real stiff, luckily I don't have to adjust it much, I actuall have to put pressure on the neck to get it to turn. I also have trouble with my "G" string slipping off the tuner when I do string changes. No matter what kind of strings I use and how I wind them they slide right off the post! I have to hook the string around itself to make it stay in place. Does anyone else have this problem?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    pyrohr - When you change strings, do you put a right angle bend into the string about half an inch from the end, and then insert that into the the hole in the center of the tuner, and THEN start winding? That's how I've always done it and I've never had a problem.

Also, bump for more info on tuners. SOMEBODY has to have swapped out their MM tuners. ;)

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It doesn't matter what I do, iv'e tried everything anyone can think of. I own 15 basses and the "G" tuner on that bass is the only one with the problem. I've even tried strings with silk windings on the ends but that doesn't work either. It seems the string for some reason does not bite on the slot in the tuner once the string gets close to pitch, when getting close to pitch the string will just slip. When I replace strings I alway's tune then pull the string from the middle of the neck to stretch them so they stay in tune from the start and I don't go thru that going flat while playing when the strings are new.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven