Marcus Miller V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MasqueOfFilth, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Hey people. Im looking for some feedback on a Fender Marcus Miller 5 string jazz bass. I havent seen many, nor played one. Ive played the 4 string version, and thats pretty nice.(would be better if it wasnt mexican, which i think it is, not sure). If you've played one, let me know how they sound. also any other bits you know about the bass..
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    So you think it would be a better bass if it wasn't MIM? well guess what? it's MADE IN JAPAN! When you check out basses you need to see what you like about them and not concern yourself with the country they are made in. If you look at a bass by the counrty it's made in maybe you should look else where or change you taste. The Marcus Miller bass is top notch construction (I have never seen a bad one) as with most MIJ or CIJ basses. If you thought that bass was MIM then maybe just maybe you are setting your sites too high and need to look elsewhere for for fillment.
    By the way, The 5 string version is MIA and IMHO overpriced.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've played a Marcus Miller 4 and I attempted to trade a brand new Lakland for one! I liked it that much! Like pyrohr said, the instrument is literally flawlessly made! and I looked it over in a bright light for about 20 minutes! Couldn't find a thing wrong with it! I also think that the new breed of overseas made instruments are of pretty good quality.

+1 on the overpricing of the 5 string version. I could see paying another $100 but $400? :scowl:
  4. bad "sir." ive had a few bad experiences with mexican made fender products. im sorry that i have an opinion?..and yea, the V is like a billion dollars more than the 4. it is and i do belive that its active...
  5. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I found the MM bass to be of incredible quality for the price I paid. I still regret giving it up awhile back.

I would expect similar construction from the V.

6. yea i agree with you. i enjoyed the 4 string..btw, the 5 string is $840 more than the 4...says musiciansfriend. :scowl:
  7. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I've played a couple of them,and its a damn good bass,however it's a bit pricey to me.but I still may buy one,but I can understand a person who would opt for a Mike Lull or Sadowsky Metro due to the MM5 price.
  8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The two best buys in the Fender line right now aren't made here !!!!
    The Geddy and the Marcus !!!!!!!!!!
  9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I loved the 4, but have yet to play the five. I've heard more than one person tell me that to them, the sound of the 5'er isn't nearly as "jazz"-ish as the 4, and that in many ways they don't even sound like the same bass. I'd be a little weary of buying the V based solely on your opinion of the 4, unless you're confident that you'll like the way the V sounds.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Isn't the V made in the US?
  11. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I thought the V was made in the USA too.

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Im interested in any feedback also about the V. I've played the 4, but I am curious about the weight, the shape of the neck etc. Since this bass is ash I think it will be heavy. Also since the 5 string adds a wider neck and more bulk with the body (not sure of this).

I need a 5 string, but dealer I have talked to does not have one in stock. I'm told that the wait time from Fender is around 90-120 days
  13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have an MMV and Sadowsky Metro. A bit like apples and oranges I suppose.

The MMV is slightly heavier than the 8.5# Metro

Both necks actually feel very good to me. Both are thin front to back with standard string spacing.

I don't notice too much difference in the bodies while 'wearing' either bass in size or comfort. But EVERY time I pick up the Sad it feels right in my hands. Feels like a feather.

Hindsight being what it is I would have preferred a Sadowsky MV5 as opposed to MS5. I missed the pickguard 'ramp' of the MMV for slapping but I am used to the MS5 now although no much call for slapping in my current gigs. I want a slap/funk gig.

I really like the look of the MMV. Some don't like the tint used to make the bass more vintage looking but I like it. Again I would have preferred a vintage looking Sadowsky with pickguard. Next time for sure. It needs a twin.

Sound wise the Metro can't be beat. The low B really speaks on the Metro. With brand spanking new strings the Marcus B can sound good but once the strings have worn a bit its more of a thump low B than a clear tone. This Marcus at least. I actually put new Sad steels on the Metro last night and put the old Sad strings on the Marcus bass. The Sad low B with old strings does sound better than the Marcus with old strings. The Sad with new strings . . . . :bassist:

I much prefer the Sad preamp but I have tried the Marcus with my outboard preamp. That sounds good as well. The treble boost on the Marcus bass is VERY subtle as opposed to the in your face boost of the Sadowsky.

I would love to try the Marcus with Sad pups and pre but then it wouldn't be a Marcus Miller 5 anymore. But it would have been cheaper than buying the Sad but not by much overall.

Hope this has been helpful If you have any more questions let me know.
  14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Could someone PLEASE tell me what CIJ means? I'm going nuts here.
  15. ..something in japan? not to sure..

but anyway...did you really think that the MMV was worth the 1600 clams? you seem to speak alot higher of the sadowsky...
  16. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Crafted in Japan
  17. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i play a lull modern 4 vintage as my jazz bass and really want a 5 string jazz. i've played the marcus miller 5 - totally different than the 4! its a very sick bass and very worth the price tag, i even offered to trade my lull 4 on the board for one, but i've since reconsiderred, but do still want a miller V. the active electronics are killer and the bass feels great and has that passive fender sound. it usually takes some time before a bass feels just right in my hands and playing one of those off the wall from manny's music (NYC) it felt and sounded like a dream. i would definitely contact fender and see where you can find one in your area to check out...or pressure your local music shop/fender dealer in picking up one...they'll sell it, the bass is fantastic.

to chime in on the where made question, i personally do feel that an instrument made in a place for cheap labor and mass produced is a LOT different than one made in the USA (aside from the whole buy from your country thing)...US made bases are typically really nice, as well as european made ones. Once you get into mexico or japan, you tend to be working with extremely reduced production costs and in turn get what you paid for.

is there a difference between line 6 and behringer - HELL YEAH!!! and it goes way beyond a price tag...
  18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Oh for the love of God THANKYOU!!!
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Japanese Jazzes are among the best I've played. What issues did you find with the Japanese models (75 RI, Geddy Lee, MM4, etc.)?