1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marcus Miller v7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sawn55, Nov 10, 2018.

1. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    Hi guys, I have a v7 and I want to ask if anyone of you have a list or something to teach me which parameters I have to use for different sounds. The bass have a lot of options (tone, pickups, highs mids bass, mid frequency and active/passive)8 knobs.
    I want to learn the parameters to use in different situations.

Thanks

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Like a map of what settings give what sorts of "typical" bass sounds? Yeah, that would be cool. I know there's a fairly developed "cheat sheet" like that for the Peavey T-40, I don't know that anyone has even started to compile one for the Sires. It would be nice to have, though, great idea!

jackn1202 likes this.
  3. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    And you think I can take the Peavy one? The parameters will be the same no?

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    No, the parameters would be completely different, the Peavey is passive and has a really unique circuit. Makes it very flexible. The Sire is also very flexible because of the preamp, just thinking someone (maybe all of us together?) could develop a similar "map" for the Sire.

JACink likes this.
  5. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    Haha I would do it but I have no idea how electronic works!:roflmao:

6. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    Maybe if you send to me some videos I can do something

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Well there's a bunch of folks on the club forum who have figured out their favorite settings - maybe it's just a question of asking and then combining everyone's notes to get started? Might even work. I'm not much of an organizer though. lol

8. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    Ok , thanks. I hope they see this post:D

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I'll try to draft a post to the club forum mentioning the thread and idea - but I'm not up for keeping track of the responses. I know my favorite setting, but there are a lot more great sounds in the Sire than I am really using. :)

10. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    Well, I'm also interessed in your settings haha, any idea is useful!

11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    A lot of folks like to "scoop" out the mids a bit, I think that's mostly a slap tone, but me, I like a slight boost to bass and low mids, highs flat, tone wide open, and pickup selection set just slightly to the neck, that's my personal "sweet spot" for my playing (mostly fingerstyle). No idea what sort of other bass it might sound like though, but it's like my perfect default or "home" setting for active on my Sires.

Timmy-Watts likes this.
  12. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    Cool , I will try it. I personally play in passive mode bridge pickup and 0%tone for impros and jazzy things haha

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I found no reason to scoop the mids on Sires, particularly when slapping. But that's what a lot of players do. Mids cut through in a typical mix.

Dr. Cheese and bholder like this.
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Ok, might be a similar vibe - rather than cutting out treble on tone, I leave it open and boost the bass and low mids on other side - we both apparently like bass-heavy tone. :)

Brother Goose and Brad Johnson like this.
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, I only cut the mids if I'm going for a "squonky" almost out-of-phase tone, useful variation for certain tunes. Reminds me of my T-40, I never quite understood what the 2nd switch actually did, but I used it to get a similar effect back when I last used to gig - on the Stones "Fortune Teller" to get that old squonky tone. ;)

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I like for a bass to sound like a bass. I'm a player who started in the 70's so I want clarity but not at the expense of being able to throw a foot in the audience's collective butts.
    ;)

ElMon likes this.
  17. sawn55

sawn55

Nov 4, 2018
    What are your configs?:bassist:

yee

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I bought my T-40 mainly because of that out of phase sound. But mine had more of a pronounced burp to it because of how I played it. I wanted a hard punch and I got it.

bholder likes this.
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yup, I would use a pick, back close to the bridge, and set that switch on, I called it my "spank" tone! :D

Brad Johnson likes this.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've tried all sorts of configs to see what would really cut through. One, I don't cut the mids, they're not overly strong to begin with. Maybe a slight bass or treble boost or both. I turn my amp up to get more of everything pumping and then I shape that with my technique, lots of tonal variations available there.

Strings can make a big difference. A local guy recommends strings that I've found to be naturally on the bright side, which I don't think the Sires need help with. This comes at the expense of thump. Not a good thing IMO.