1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller VS Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Abr@hamBassBoy, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Actually I'm not certain wether one is entitled to make a conclusion in this matter...
    However, who is generally the greatest bassplayer if you make a comparison between Miller and Wooten? I'm just curious what the general opinion is... So long dudes!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're novices compared to Joey Arkenstat, everybody knows that...

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've constructed a robot in my garage out of spare parts from sewing machines, washers, a drill and old cars that can outplay them both. It's name is MarcusWootor3000.

brad cook

:bassist: [​IMG]

4. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Slapbassplayer vs. Slapbassplayer = both lose.

5. I like bith but i like Victor better. They both are excellent at the solo thing, but Vic still knows how to hold down the groove (w/ the flecktones). I'm sure MM can too but I havent heard it.

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    :)

Anyway....you're right, ABB. It is very hard to come to a conclusion as to who is "better" between Miller and Wooten. Both are amazing in their own right. Between the two, however, my vote goes to Miller. His sense of groove is amazing and his tone just speaks for itself.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Both are outta the same school(R&B/Funk).
    Both can groove...don't forget MM was actually Omar Hakim's FIRST choice as Jaco's replacement in Weather Report(he opted for the Miles' gig instead).

Personally, I wouldn't label either as a "slap player"...that's just me, though.

8. I have M2 but i havent heard much else, if he's on anything where he sounds real good in the pocket let me know.

9. -Miles Davis "Tutu"
    -Miles Davis "Star People"
    -Miles Davis "Man with the Horn"

...to name a few. MM has such a deep pocket it's stoopid.

10. They should make a bass videogame, like street fighter meets Parappa the Rapper and the guitar game Star Jammer or something (I'm not talking about Um Jammer Lammy), but with bass-offs instead.

You could have a bass peripheral and you could play as your favorite bassists and try to fill up your groove meter before the other guy.

And each bassist could have their own special move that would be tres sweet.

.......well I think it'd be cool

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm not a big fan of these types of posts.
    This bass player vs. this bass player.

All of the great bass players have their personal qualities which make them great to other people.

I believe thats all that matters.

I not a big fan of Marcus Miller but a big fan of Victor Wooten.
    I still would not say Victor is better than Marcus.
    I just personally like Victor more, but have the utmost respect for Marcus.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Me neither. Thus my stupid post.

brad cook

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    1st what is your perception of "Holding down the groove"?because basically thats all Marcus did early in his carreer(he still does with other artist)he is not just a soloist by far.!but anyway if you would like to be refered to any of his old material then you would have to get some of his real early stuff that he did with Lenny White,Luther Vandros,Roberta Flack,early David Sanborn,Lonnie Liston Smith,Jamaica Boys(his band in the early 90's)Dave&Don Grusen and there's a lot more stuff out there with him really holding it down.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Who's winning?:bag:

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    See, I'm much more interested in who of the two of them would win in an armwrestling match. Both of those guys have some pretty solid forearms. I bet Wooten would be very Buddhist about it and try to use his mind, while Marcus would just try to throw down like a badass.

I think all of these "VS" posts should be automatically turned into armwrestling matches from now on. Whaddya think?

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    [​IMG]

brad cook

17. I guess i shouldn't have come up with this post in the first place as it is almost impossible to conclude who is the greatest one... Sorry :bawl:

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ahhh don't feel bad, Abe. We're having fun with it, aren't we? [​IMG]

brad cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.