Marcus Miller vs Warwick thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kaky213, Nov 6, 2005.

1. kaky213

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi this is my second thread, anyways I am looking for a new bass and have narrow my search to a warwick thumb or a marcus miller jazz. Can you guys give me any suggestions on which on should i buy, and what are the difference of them two? Any responce will be appreciated. :)
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They are two fundamentally different basses in so many ways its hard to compare them.

If it were my money I would get the Miller because I don't dig the neck's on Warwicks, but if you are a rock player the Warwick's tone will probably cut through a little better than the Miller.
  3. As mark stated these basses sound and play totally different. Do you have the ability to go to a Guitar Center and play these there? They usually have these basses to try out...

I guess define what type of sound you're going for, your amps, and your style of music etc... a good place to put this info is in your profile....
  4. kaky213

Oct 20, 2005
    Well my three biggest influences are Flea, Marcus Miller, and Les Claypool. I do my best to combine all their styles in mine. I also like play all kinds of styles from Jazz to Hard Rock(example:primus) and everything between. So I guess im looking for the most versatile bass of the two. Also can you explain why it is so hard to compare the two basses? See I live in a small town and I don't have a large guitar shop that carries a lot of basses that I could try. Thanks
  5. kaky213

Oct 20, 2005
    SORRY I meant PRIMUS instead of that green smile in top.
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The following is compared Miller / Thumb:

Neck: thin and narrow / thick and narrow

Body: large and heavy / small and heavy

Pickups: Two J's in J position / Two J's in unique position

Electronics: Vol Vol Treb Bass / Vol, Blend, Bass, Mid, Treb

Overall tone: Big bottom and high end - "open" / Tight low mid focused "compressed"

Overall the basses are poles apart in terms of how they sit, feel, play and sound. Its really going to come down to personal preference, but based on the guys you like I would be more inclined to get the Miller as the Warwick's tone is probably a little dark for your tastes.
  7. kaky213

Oct 20, 2005
    Thanks that really help. But I have still not made my mind, see I have heard many goods things about warwicks. Including that they are the best basses out their (for the price anyway). Can you tell me what kind of style's of music warwicks are used? Also are warwick versitile instruments? And finally which bass would be better slapping and popping and tapping and getting a les claypool sound (I love his sound :cool: )? Thanks
  8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Miller bass is great for slapping, but I find the low number of frets a bad thing when it comes to tapping. I really dig the Thumb's slap tone, tight and growly, but you can mellow out thumbs somewhat for a really unique sound, which I like.

Overall, I think Warwicks's are somewhat overpriced, but I guess thats ebcuase they consider themselves "boutique". I do really like the Thumb bass, more so than the Miller, but even for you, I think you're slighty more suited to the thumb, especially for an agressive sound which would come in useful for doing the primus stuff.
  9. brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hey there,

I have a Streamer Stage II and a Thumb Bolt-On 6 and they are completely different from the my 77 JBass. Marcus Miller's original bass is 76' if im not wrong. I get a real close sound to his.

Putting sound aside, the thumb has a neck dive which you really must try for yourself. You also must reach further down to the first fret becos of the position of the strap screws due to the body shape. Even my streamer is easier to play considering this aspect. Overall, i find that the J body is easier to play if you strap high, like most jazz bassist do.

On the other hand, i agree that tapping is fantastic on the Warwicks. You get a very piano bell like tone on it. Very clear and crisp.

For sound wise, i think you might be better goin for a fender or fender-like clones. They suit better for jazz and pop. Its hard for me to get a comfortable tone from the Warwicks for jazz and pop. They juz cut thru the mix too much. As for slap sound, the Warwicks are nice but lack warmth from maple necks. They make very good funk fingerstyle music.

Overall, i think you really gotta try them out.
    The Warwicks are really sound and tone cutters.

Other basses which you wanna consider might be the F basses. They have a 34.5" scale which claims to be mid-way sound of Traditional Basses and Modern Basses. I do feel that they sit in mixes very well and blend in with most music too.