1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller warm up.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Starrchild, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

This oughta shut folks up who think Marcus is a one trick pony!!

3. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Very cool.

4. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Man... hes got great feel and tone, i like his finger playing better than his Slapping.

5. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Even if he is a one trick pony, it's a great trick.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is some beautiful playing. I would love to hear him do more playing like that on his fretted basses. A lot of his fretless playing is closer to that sort of thing. I hear a lot of Jaco in Marcus Miller's playing. Between Jaco and Larry Graham, Marcus Miller picked the absolute two best possible models and he has carried both of their approaches to new places.

Marcus Miller gives me hope as a bassist because with a clip like this and his newest CD, he constantly proves that good things come when you keep pushing yourself as a player.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    About as soon as I said that MM had Jaco and Graham as his two role models, I realized that such a comment sells him short. MM himself said that his first bass hero was Robert "Cool" Bell from Kool and the Gang. I am certain that MM soaked up everyone who was putting down a groove back in the 1970s.

8. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Cool to see him working on stuff, going back over things. I know he's a not so mere mortal now!

9. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Hah, his sitting posture is as ridiculous as mine! Anyway, never saw any of that crazy fingerstyle shredding before. Very clean muting.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Marcus Miller is just a master craftsman at all levels. I don't think there is anything on bass that he is not far above average in executing.