Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rmp5s, May 21, 2001.

1. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Anyone here heard the song "Rush Over" by Marcus Miller and Michelle N'Degeo-somethin'? It's an awesome song. The bass work on it is really cool. I'm looking for tab of it, so if any of you know how to play it, or where I can find tab, please tell me. I know part of it, but there is a TON of stuff goin on in the song.

Thanks

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You're right; it's a terrific song. The upright line is done on a synth and goes down to D, so you'll have to detune or use an extension if you're playing the real thing. Then there's a palm-muted thumb-plucked line. On top of that is Marcus' signature Jazz Bass (and bass clarinet). I don't know if there's tab for it, but keep an ear out for the separate parts and it shouldn't be too difficult to suss out.

3. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    There is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much going on that it is really hard to figure out.....plus, I don't have an amp at my house, so that makes things even harder. I figured out the...um...lead (???) part that marcus is playing...I like plain' that, but some of it is just hard. Thanks for the reply....I didn't think anybody would.

4. i managed to snap the G the other night, playing or at least trying to copy the mute pluck , snap style of Marcus

i was told i was being rough. ha me , rough?

never

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I had that two years ago, when trying to play Red Hot Chili Peppers-stuff. In fact, I think it happened twice with that band.
    I guess we're trying too hard.

6. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    About that double snap technique...how the hell do you do that? Like Victor Wooten, right...I can already slap pretty well, but I really want to know how to do this. I saw one of the guys that work at the Cincinnati GC do it once, but I don't remember how to do it. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You basically use your thumb like you would a pick. Rather than slap the string and have your thumb bounce off the string, slap the string and follow through so that your thumb lands on the string below. Then come back up; use your thumbnail to pluck the string you've just slapped.

It requires a degree of practice using this technique to make the notes sound assertive and even (and to avoid sounding unwanted notes). I think it's easier with wide-string spacing. I can honestly say I still suck at it.

8. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Ah...that's cool...something new to practice. I thought he does some kind of double pop thing with his index and middle fingers, too...