Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hi. I'm considering buying a marcus miller 4 string. I know it is a Japanese made and one of my questions is if there is a huge difference in quality and sound between the Japanese and the American made. The other question is if there are any other 4 string basses for about $1000 that might be better for funk. Thanks in advance for your responses.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The marcus miller bass is HIGHLY regarded here. I've played dozens of them and every single one had amazing tone and was a great bass... ESPECIALLY for slap. Honestly, in the price range you really can't beat it. It sounds better than a lot of the American's I've played. There's some lemons. I feel that the MIJ basses are the most consistant with quality.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I just tried one out at GC today and thought it was an amazing bass. The fact it's not U.S. made made no difference to me. As a matter of fact, I also checked out a Geddy Lee and a plain old USA J with the S-switch and while I did like the US model better (just the neck feel, which is a personal thing), I could easily be happy with either of them.

For funk, I'd say the heaviest contender would be the Music Man Stingray, which can be had used for about the same price as the Fenders I mentioned.
  4. thanks for all the quick responses. I did try the stingray and for awhile it was a toss up between the stingray or a sterling, but I felt that I could get more tonal versatility out of the Marcus Miller.
  5. thanks to all for all the quick responses. I did try the stingray and for awhile it was a toss up between the stingray or a sterling, but I felt that I could get more tonal versatility out of the Marcus Miller after trying it. I did try a Kurbow and that was nice too but still liked the Marcus. I've been playing only for a short time so any advice on a good bass for funk would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to pay much more than $1000
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couldn't recommend anything better than a Marcus Miller as far as a Jazz bass, and for funk. If you don't like the Stingray, your best other readily available choice is the MM Jazz.
  7. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    Two big thumbs up for the MM Jazz bass. It's got a great tone, it's versitale, and it has a great feel. The only negative thing I can say about the MM is that it's a bit heavy, at least relative to other jazzes that I've played.
  8. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  9. The Miller is heavy.

I also found that it did not cut through when played finger style, at least IMO.

I would also have liked a true passive bypass that would allow the traditional V/V/T that is otherwise unavailable.

It sounded incredible slapped, though.
  10. Thanks for that link to the other MM discussion. That was a huge help. Thanks to all for the help. Keep it coming!
  11. I'm REALLY gonna throw you a curve here so watch out!! I have not posted about my marcus Miller that I had the Sadowsky boys go through and add a Preamp and a set of PUPS......BUT....I LOVE IT!! Turned out WAY better than I thought it is everything that I hoped for and then some....The key to a GOOD Marcus Miller is to LOOK AROUND at a LOT of them... I played about 30 or so and actually BOUGHT 5 (sight unseen just bought because they had 1 and I could return it) before I found this one that I fixed up....

You are likely to find minor finish flaws, pickguards that don't quite match up, loose pots, funky pre switches, rusty under the ashtrays, tight!! tuning keys, funky bridges and saddles.....etc etc etc....sometimes you may find all or several of these things on one bass!! It really makes a difference to take the time to go through one BEFORE you buy it.....also weight is a BIG issue....I have seen them in the 12.5 to 13 pound range all the way down to about 8.5 pounds.....the one I had fixed weighs 8lbs 15 oz!!! It is a VERY nice example of what a Marcus can be....They are out there!! I still did not care for the Preamp, though I could probably have lived with the PUPS (but I doubt it!!) A good outboard pre (like the Sadowsky outboard) will set you back another couple of hundred dollars but is well worth it to me.....

Now here is the curve!! I recently got turned on to the Lakland Darryl Jones series and it is a very happening bass....In fact, I am getting a Black with Black Pearl Guard and Rosewood board 5 string for would definitely come in at less than $1,000.00 for the 4 string.....You may even find one here in the classifieds for a great deal (I have been scoping for 5's for a while)....for the type of music you have listed I could very easily see the DJ being a good fit for you and it sounds killer right out of the box!! It is passive and has gobs of that old school funk mojo going on.....check it out here

Good Luck on the hunt!

PS here is one listed in the Classifieds here on TB!!
  12. j-bass

Feb 5, 2004
    I've had one for a while now and I'm very pleased - my review

my and my bro alternate the MM, or his Musicman Stringray or RB 5 and the Marcus Miller is the bass that is taken out most often .. especially if slapping is on the song list !

13. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    I had a Marcus Miller for while, and it was an amazing bass. However, one day I walked into guitar center and played one of those Fender American Delux thangs with the beautiful quilted top and it blew me away. I walked out of the store with it that day. I am contemplating selling my MM, but I havnt done it yet. I would reccomend the American Delux of the MM, but its more expensive, i think 1300.
  14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    This is really a great bass!! I have a real 77 and it is very close in sound and feel. One of the best basses you can buy for any $$. The Japanes stuff has always been a great value and this bass is a great example. Unlike the MIM basses, the quality on these have been very consistent. Every one that I have played as been good to very good