Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Oct 10, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I had heard a lot of this guy but never heard anything by him, I have now got a few songs by him on my pc and I have to say I think he is excellent, he has great feeling and keeps the groove whatever he is doing. My fav song I have is La Villette, any other songs by him that are similar in the bass technibility please let me know.

One side point, there was a thread a few weeks back saying that people who have their thumb under the neck then they are crap etc etc. Well I have a bass book about famous bassists and Marcus Miller is on the front and his thumb is right under the neck on the side of the frets. So surely by what people were saying that makes him have bad technique also?

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Check out "Power", which is pretty much an accompanied bass solo. I love Marcus' playing, as far as slapping is concerned, he's everything I aspire to. I really love his bluesy lines and his tastefulness when soloing and grooving. His sound is great, too, it's fat and round and transparent at the same time. Many people are dissing his music, but I think most of it is perfectly listenable, save for the odd cheesy and/or boring track.

3. I really liked his last CD Silver Rain. Has a cool funk-rock version of "Frankenstein."

4. Andy On Bass

Andy On Bass

Sep 10, 2005
    England
    Start with the M2 album as for me this is the best album! Silver Rain is still good though, as is the Ozell Tapes etc!

5. you really can't go wrong with a any of Marcus' solo albums.

Tales
    The Sun Don't Lie
    Live & More
    M2
    The Ozell Tapes
    Silver Rain

he also had a few before these, but they're probably too hard to find anyway.

6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    He had a straight funk band that did two albums called the Jamaica Boyz, really funky stuff, I've got the first one. Lost the second....er...Maybe it was stolen. :eyebrow:

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There are so many great Marcus Miller recordings....if you want Marcus unleashed, check out the Ozell tapes, if you want to hear him in a pop contex, check out the first couple albums by the late great* Luther Vandross.

* and that's a huge understatement....one of the finest singers ever to walk this planet!

8. I'm a big Miller head, I love his style.

Besides his solo stuff you should also check out some if his work with David Sanborn. It's the same Jazz/R&B mix but Marcus is mostly a side man. Sanborn gives him plenty of room to do what he wants and there is some killer rhyme section work in his tunes.

Two of my favorites are:

David Sanborns, Upfront and Straight to the Heart.

9. The 'Ozell Tapes' double live CD is probably the only 'solo' Marcus Miller recording you need. It's amazing and has virtually every one of Marcus's tunes on it. It's a legal bootleg and was recorded directly off the board on a recent tour.

I'm much more of a fan of Marcus's playing than his writing... check out his classic work on the first 3 or 4 David Sanbourn CD's and his amazing work with Luther Vanross....