Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Feb 3, 2006.

1. was just curious, does marcus only use his personal '77 live or does he use his new fender sigs as well?

2. It's hard to say...
    I've never seen him playing anything else than his JB MM signature and his fretless.
    But we donť know what basses does he play in studio, anyway I belive, that there's no difference.

3. Not sure.

He uses his MIA 5's though.

4. Of course, he have got 4-string and 5-string versions of JB MM signature. I didn't mention that at all. I thought it is useless...

5. howard9

howard9

Jan 30, 2006
    I had the pleasure to see him 6 months ago(he signed my 79 jazz also). He used his original fender, and a fretless Fodera 5, thats it.

6. I saw him on the HeadHunter's 05 Tour. He was playing a P Bass for part of the night... to cop the classic HH thing, and then played his original Fender 4. He had a signature 5 on stage and never touched it.

7. Hola,
    I asked Marcus a question about the tone and feel of the Marcus signature Bass (Marcusmiller.com Aug.27,2005). He wrote back saying that the Sig. bass felt exactly like his, using one at a show and halfway through his gig he realized it was'nt HIS bass! But stated the tone was a slightly different.

Bobbo 77"

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I've been working with his tech for the past couple of months. According to him and also what Marcus state on his site, plus the times I"ve seen him in concert, his '77 is his main bass for studio and stage.

Roger Sadowsky even made a comment about this somewhere in an article I read....might have been "set ups of the stars" in Bass Player magazine. Roger stated something to the effect "as beat up as Marcus' bass is, we can't get it out of his hands".

Marcus says on his site something like "my '77 is still my main bass, dead 16th fret and all".

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hmm, i'm wondering how the heck marcus wouldn't notice the bass he was playing wasn't his legendary old bass. I just can't see that.. maybe Fender said " Marcus, we need to push these MM Sigs "

10. Yo Adrian,
    I think if you have noticed some of Marcus' B.P. interviews, he has in his studio the MM 4 and 5 stringers along with various other Basses. If you read that post, I got the feeling he just used it onstage and after a while playing the signature bass, he just got lost in the moment... I'm sure your right though, maybe Fender axed him to push that thang! But i'm sure HE'D know THAT Bass! I dig your scripture verse also!

Bobbito

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Amen, bro!
    yeah, i have seen the articles and pics. i just wonder, maybe he thought the dead 16th fret fixed itself ;)
    i just think if i played a bass for THAT long on so many records and it made me so much money and fame, I would know it wasn't the bass in my hands ! no?
    :D
    ( edit, my reply was to Bobbito, not Marcus being drunk! )