Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

marcus miller's first two-suddenly and s/t

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by narud, Sep 21, 2004.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so last week im in amoeba and find marcus millers first two albums on vinyl. these are the out of print vocal r&b albums. i hadnt listened to them until today. so for ive only listened to suddenly and oy vey! :rollno: lets just say marcus made the right decision in switching to instrumental music and ending his singing career :D

2. suddenly is the only marcus album ive bought, mind you it was on warner brothers jazz classic reissue digipack cds :D ..just like my copy of word of mouth and invitation....but after listening to that i didnt see the hype of "marcus miller" i thought meshell ndegeochellos peace beyond passion was about 500% times better than that album....(i bought them at the same time) :D

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I suggest if you want to hear Marcus with his game face on, get the Ozell Tapes...awesome stuff!

4. yeah, thats what my guitarist sugegsted to me, that i find his live stuff, where he hasnt got access to samplers and synths....im still interested in finding more of his stuff, just that i thought 'suddenly' wasnt a great way to start on his music, ive heard 2 songs that he's done with meshell and ive loved them...but im also obsessed with meshell's music, she's a pretty damn underrated bassist to....i saw a vid of her the other day, online, where she's playing a fender jazz, i dunno if she still uses fender ive seen her with cellinder and modulus lately, and she was like half the size of the jazz :D

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    avoid the sun dont lie and tales. go straight to live and more and as previously mentioned the ozell tapes. marcus is a bad man, but his solo work isnt always the best place to get it. some of my favorite marcus is on

miles davis
    -the man with the horn
    -we want miles

wayne shorter
    -high life

6. One of my favorite recordings with Marcus Miller on bass is Kenwood Dennard's "Just Advance".

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    +1 for We Want Miles (Stern smokes as well)

I will have to check out High Life.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I disagree! These are excellent cd's although they are not 'live'. They do, however, showcase his many talents in areas other than bass. He plays Bass Clarinet, Keyboards and Guitar in addition to his programming and bass playing. Of course the live stuff is way better but I can't stand Hiram Bullock's sound! That wierd detuned chorus sound is so annoying!!

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    It was the 80's - Wht do you expect??

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    good music :D

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm a huge Shorter fan that doesn't dig High Life...it is very slick & in a Contemporary Jazz(i.e. 'Smooth') vibe. Go for it if that stuff floats your boat.
    Personally, I would opt for the Sanborn albums with Marcus vis a vis High Life.

Marcus on The Breckers' Straphanging is cool...also his work with Luther Vandross.

And I agree with We Want Miles as an example of raw-Miles electric chromatic Funk(also Star People).

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the production might come off as smooth, but theres so much going on in the compositions and orchestration that if you played it back to back with some dave koz or spyro gyra i dont think you could lump it it in with that stuff. on the whole, i think except for something like upfront, most of the sanborn stuff that miller did sounds more like smooth jazz.

but hey, its either love/hate with most people ive talked to that have an opinion on high life :D

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm quite sure High Life was meant to come off as an eclectic, non mainstream cd. I too had a hard time deciphering the cd and pretty much only dig the title cut but it's still a good cd that is well produced. Secondly, you don't get too many opportunities to hear Wayne Shorter play and I'll take this anyday. I will admit that Marcus is of a different breed. Not just a great bassist but a musical visionary that some folks will dig and some will not. For the most part, I dig what he does.

14. the 80's produced many good bands albums
    duran duran, chili peppers, steve vai, joe satriani, stu hamm, soundgarden, primus etc etc

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    IMO the Ozell tapes ain't that great either.I think he did his best stuff with Lonnie Liston Smith and some late 79-80 with Lenny White.

16. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Don't hold your breath!

17. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    M2 M2 M2!!!!

its real good!

dodge

18. Heh. M2 is definitely an album I listen to quite often, but I do so more for R&B/Hip-Hop influences. There are some very soulful songs on there, however, in the way of jazz...but Marcus' manner of dubbing 100-fold every song doesnt always allow for a true jazz feel.

I really LOVE Lonnie's Lament on that album...better than COLTRANE's for me! The song Boomerang is a very nice RnB tune, but, again, not an amazing song, musically. um...Power is cool in that solo bass sorta way, and I like his pork-pie hat. Red Baron and 3 Deuces were pretty decent as well.

As for Ozell Tapes, very good...but still, I have yet to hear Marcus in a true intimate, passionate Jazz setting (but, hell, I don't consider a lot of that fusion, no matter if intricately and carefully orchestrated or free, to have been very intimate)

Anyways, I really like Marcus' playing, he's got a real voice in his bass and also with his clarinet. His real voice...well...american idol maybe..:L , heh. Just teasin'.

I'm out.

19. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    His work on M2 is a perfect blend of what works for both musicians and non-musicians alike. Not to "out-there", but then not to "top 40" either... Everybody will enjoy something on that CD.

20. Well said, and great makeout music :bag: