Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

marcus miller's roots

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    im gettin into marcus miller right now and am startin to learn some of his songs (by ear!!!! :O:O) and my bass teacher has advised me to get into or at least understand what he was listening too when he was my age (15) and his influences. so if anybody can help me out here on what influenced mr miller can u kindly type it in the space provided.

thank ya

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Marcus was definately into the following players:

Larry Graham (Sly & family stone)
    Stanley Clarke (Solo stuff, Return to forever, Chick Corea, Stan getz, Horace silver etc.)
    Jaco Pasotorius (solo stuff, weather report, pat metheny etc.)

I'm sure he was influcenced by many double bassists as well like Ray Brown,Paul Chambers, Ron carter, Sam Jones etc.

Check out his website at www.marcusmiller.com for more info

/lovebown

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    yeah he has an extensive faq on his website that should answer your questions. If you still have questions after reading it though then he regularly answers questions posted by fans on his message board. Read through the faq first though.

brad cook

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Go find an old Jamaica Boys CD. That's was the band he was part of in the '80's.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Fishbrain, I grew up with Marcus for awile in Jamaica Queens From 1971 to 75. Marcus's influences when he was young was: Kool & the gang, The k-gee's, jermaine from j5, Larry graham. He played with a group called Unique Creation (his first band probably), I know I later married the sax players sister and the band practiced at their house! His first fender to my knowledge was a 71 or 72 jazz bass. He was into (as we all were at the time) the funk band thing, most groups had a full horn line and featured heavy horn parts ala brecker brothers. Marcus is also a product of the neighborhood in which he came from, he was not the first to thump and pop but he loved the style so much he went on to perfect it. There were soooo many guy's in our neighborhood that played an instrument and so many bass players he took alittle from each on the funky side and went to school for the technical stuff. That's what made him different, when we were jammin in the key of E he was learning and reading every key! It's funny, people alway's wanted to know when we where kids who was better between him and I but I was all funky and as well as just learning the funk he was learning technical stuff so you could not really compare. but we always stayed friends through it all.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think Marcus also went to the High school of performing arts [kinda like the one in the movie Fame] He said they would practice in hallways and try to out funk each other:cool:

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's correct, he did go to music and art. This school specialized in those two courses.

8. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    i still think Marcus is the baddest bass player in the world and any bass player who doesn't thoroughly study his work is gonna be two steps behind

while you are studying Marcus note the way he uses ghosts notes and muted notes for the extra degrees of funkiness

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I picked up the double C.D. of The Ozell Tapes by Marcus last week..........super greasy funk!!!:cool:

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    hye thanx to everyone who has replied, it all really helps :D