1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus sigs and Hi beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slipitin, Feb 1, 2004.

1. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    London
    :bassist: Is there actually any difference between a medium set of Fat Beams and a set of Hi Beams of the same gauge other than the price?
    :confused:

2. Yes there is. MM's description of Fatbeams captures the difference pretty good: Fatter, deeper and smoother. FBs are stiffer than hi-beams and has a little more midrange (deep mids) and more thump. The high end is less pronounced. On the other hand (to my ears!) Hi-Beams sounds a little warmer or softer in a band situation. If you've never tried DR's before and wanna know what their about, I'll say go for the Hi-beams. They give you the most of the famous DR snap and playabillity (read: easy bend). If you on the other hand like your strings to be stiff and thumpy go for the Fat-beams (or Lo-Riders).

PS: Smooth/soft etc. refers to the sound not the tactible aspect of the string. If you've never played stainless steel strings before they might feel a little rough, but you'll get used to it. DR's a certainly the smoothest feeling ss strings I've tried.