Marcus vs Geddy bass - $500 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emmaemme, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Emmaemme

Emmaemme

May 20, 2008
    ... two different basses, I know but imagine :

You could have a MM or a GL for $500 used, which would you choose and why?

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I would choose the MM b/c you can sell it and buy the Geddy Lee and make a nice profit, but I would buy the Geddy Lee as a proud owner of one and some who has tried the Marcus miller and thats my prefernce

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The Marcus. It's active/passive so it has a little more tonal flexibility, and (speaking merely from personal experience) it feels better.

4. dcbassdc

dcbassdc

Oct 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I have the marcus and love it. I would suggest changing out the pickups in it though, but the active electronics are delightful and it feels so good. Hands down miller's bass.

5. I tried them both and went with the Geddy. I wasn't crazy about the preamp in the MM. And you can't beat the neck on the Geddy.

Tonewise they are both on the "brighter" side for Jazz basses. I just loved the simplicity, look, and feel of the Geddy.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Geddy, then add an Audree Jazz Plate.

7. Emmaemme

Emmaemme

May 20, 2008
    Thanks guys

Just thinking out loud...

8. I've played both, and went for a Geddy.

When I gig it, it cuts through brilliantly!

9. Emmaemme

Emmaemme

May 20, 2008
    Simplicity seems important and I like the new sunburst model a lot better. I prefer the fingerboard on the MM but all those knobs and screws on the scratchplate make it look a bit too fiddly. I've only ever seen one or the other on stage, never been able to try one out.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    GEDDY.

Plays better. Looks better. Based on a better bass design.

Easy.

And it's cheap if you buy used! If I only had $500 for a single bass, I'd get a used Geddy.

11. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I believe the Geddy has an alder body while the MM has an ash body. That by itself does create a slightly different tone in the mids. I don't really love the fact that the Marcus is all butchered up, it's really not neccessary these days regardless of the fact that it matches Marcus's bass..

All that aside I think it would be hard to decide without playing each in person...

12. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I have both.

The Geddy is probably for versatile. I get a very nice finger style tone to rolling off the neck PU and Tone a bit. Slapwise, it sounds a bit like the marcus miller but it is more on the nasal side.

The neck on the marcus, as least to me, is superior. Just feels so comfortable when I grab it. The stock preamp sucks, so I play it passive.

If you play rock, the Geddy is probably the safer choice.

13. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I think it would probably come down a lot to your playing style and what tone you're after. Both artists have tones that you can hear and almost immediately say "Yep, that's player X" so you can work around that. There is also how each player plays; Marcus is almost all slap so his sig bass would be set up around that; while Geddy is pretty much all regular finger playing.
    The cometics are definately something to think about as well. The natural blonde wood and PU gaurd on the MM may not be for everyone; and the same goes for the basic black Geddy.

14. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008

The Gerddy used to come only in black; now it also comes in sunburst

15. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    The Marcus hands down. It's been my "Go To" bass for years now.

16. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I owned both at the same time and they are both nice basses. The MM is probably the heaviest bass I have owned. The neck on the Geddy was too thin for me and I ended up replacing the neck with a Warmoth. I have since sold both basses but the Geddy stayed around longer.

IMO, the MM was better for solo type playing and the Geddy was better for the "in the mix" sound.

17. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I'd buy a MM over a G&L because G&L has no resale value and has an ugly headstock. I think you could find a G&L for $500, but more like around $800 for a MM. Regarding Geddy or Marcus? I've checked out several Geddys and they are very heavy. You'd think they'd use alder since it's a black finish, and that it would be light, but I guess not. I still don't understand the popularity of the Marcus. I'm not bashing Sadowsky here, but it seems to me that this Fender Marcus bass is a copy of one of Roger's first passive to active mods - and I don't know why he didn't route out the BACK of the bass and then put the large cover over that on the BACK. He may wonder why he did that too? I have never liked the look of that bass - so much black plastic all over the front! Besides having no more chrome control plate, you have a little square piece which I guess is where the battery is, and the the input jack is in the plastic pickguard material, which we all know is a problem. I know I'm not the only one who has broken a P bass pickguard at the input jack - they always crack. As mentioned here and I've heard it other places as well, the electronics in the Fender Marcus are not happnin.' I'd think I'd rather buy a MIM Jazz if my budget was $500!

18. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I like them both but I' d go with the Geddy bass. Like the tone and neck.

Fred

19. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I think you're mistaken GL (Geddy Lee) for G&L there has been no discussion of G&L in this thread prior to your post.

I also do not like the butcher job on the Marcus bass as time moved on there have been better ways to build in active electronics. I'm not sure I'd criticize or fault Roger Sadowsky as when he did Marcus's bass this was new and they were trying different ways to go about this. Obviously that did not pan out to be the most efficient way of doing things.

I do not think we 'all know' that an input jack built into a pickguard is a huge problem and many would disagree that it is not.

20. Definitivamente el Marcus Miller

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021